Carolina

She woke up with the unfamiliar feeling of another body with her. The room was also one she didn't recognize. She almost panicked before she remembered the scattered tattoos on the arm draped over her waist and who they belonged to. She let out a small sigh, all the memories of the last twenty-four hours now resurfacing.

" 'S just me, love," Harry reassured from behind her. His voice was deep and laced with sleep. She took a hold of his hand, bringing it up to her chest to bring him closer. To feel him closer. " 'Re you scared?" he asked, sensing her unease

"More like paranoid," she corrected. Harry pulled her even closer, pressing a lingering kiss to the back of her neck. 

"Hey, Haz," Louis yelled up the staircase. The sound of his footsteps followed. "You two better be decent in there." She and Harry chuckled.

"What do you want?" Harry asked Louis as he entered the room. 

"You two are so adorable it's rather sickening," he said jokingly. "But that's beside the point. You should come see this." She and Harry shared a quick worried glance before following Louis downstairs. 

They stood in the living room in front of the TV. Louis watched his mate's and new friend's worried glances at the screen. She anxiously chewed on her fingernails while Harry soothingly rubbed her back in an attempt to calm her down.

"A patient from the New York State Mental Institution has escaped early this morning. There were no signs of a break-in to the institution or her room. All that was found was her hospital clothes outside the building. It is speculated that prior patient, Harry Styles, helped her escape seeing as though he was released the morning prior. If you see either of these two patients or know any details of their whereabouts, you are encouraged to call 911."

She stared wide-eyed at her and Harry's hospital photos on the daily news. Louis turned off the TV, now carefully watching her, both he and Harry sharing worried glances. She knew this wouldn't work. She knew this was a bad idea. What the hell were they gonna do?

"Hey," Harry said, breaking her from her panicked trance, "we're gonna get as far away from here as possible, I promise. We just need to stay calm and we need to move quickly. Can you do that for me?" She nodded. Harry had gotten her this far; he came back when he was discharged to bail her out, taught her the ins and outs of the hospital, he's kept her safe. She trusted him.

"Car's waiting for you in the back," Louis told Harry.

"Sorry we couldn't stay longer, Lou. Would've been nice to catch up a bit," Harry apologized.

"No worries, mate. I'm glad I could help. Go keep your girl safe." Louis now turned to her, holding her shoulders and giving a warm smile. "Look out for him, alright, love?" She wrapped her arms around his torso.

"Of course," she agreed. "Thank you for everything, Louis."

"Don't mention it. Off you go, lads. Stay safe. Once you're in the clear, give me a ring so I know everything's alright." They agreed before grabbing the car keys to one of Louis' cars and leaving.

They drove in silence for quite a while; the only sounds present being the passing cars on the highway and the quiet radio. Harry held her hand, gingerly rubbing his thumb against the back of it every few seconds. As the minutes ticked by, her nerves slowly lessened. She immersed herself in her thoughts as she watched the trees zoom by.

She wished she could have gotten to know Louis more. He seemed like a genuine person and an even better friend. She saw the sincerity and concern in his eyes and she took it to heart. He was selfless and helpful which she really admired. She hoped that they would be able to reunite with the man and actually build a relationship (on her end, that is, seeing as though Lou and Harry are already friends). Thinking of their friendship brought a warmth to her heart. She could see the amount of love and concern between the two men--in a friendly way, of course. She remembered having a friend like that. This thought led to another, ultimately ending with Louis' words repeating in her brain. She knit her eyebrows together slightly before turning to look at Harry's profile.

"Haz?" she questioned abruptly, referring to the nickname Louis had called him. The word brought a small smile to his heart-shaped, fiction-pink lips.

"Lou gave me the nickname," he explained. "Well, he called me Hazza sometimes and it just stuck." She smiled at the memory, a warmth spreading through her chest.

"Can I call you Haz?" she asked. 

"You can call me whatever you want, baby." Whenever he called her that, it heated her cheeks. She couldn't remember the last time someone even thought about labeling her as theirs in that manner. "So," Harry now changed the subject, "I wanna know more about you."

"More about me?"

"Yeah. Like, where are you from?"

"Carolina," she answered rather shyly. No one ever really asked about her personal life the way Harry had, let alone show any interest.

"Which one, love?" 

"Carolina," she repeated. 

"Why'd you come all the way out here?" 

"Never saw myself as a west coaster," she replied with a small sigh, "so I came up here. And my grandma told me to go to towns. Better swim before you drown, y'know?" Harry chuckled lightly at her remark. "Besides, I had a reputation back home. I got into parties without invitations, there wasn't a drink that could sink me. I didn't want that. It wasn't me. That's why she told me to go." Harry took all this in as he nodded his head. He loved listening to her talk. He found her shy voice fascinating and was in genuine awe of her entire being. He felt lucky to have met her back in the hospital.

"You're such a good girl," Harry said. "Never pictured you to be a party animal."

"There's a lot than meets the eye, Harry," she teased timidly. 

Harry could sense her wild side, the part of her that was fearless and capable of anything. He knew she could be manipulative in all the right ways, having her reputation of the "big, bad wolf". The thought excited him. He was curious if she looked different in that persona. He wanted to know exactly how different she was from her shy self. He was determined to dig deep and find out. He was determined to unleash the other part of her he wanted to treasure and cherish the way he already did with her present persona. 

"Don't worry, baby, I plan to find out exactly what I'm missing out on."