Two Ghosts

As they continued to travel, her mind continued to race. As much as her worries faded, they proceeded to plague her thoughts. She was quiet most of the time, only making conversation when Harry prompted her. He was worried about her but understood the difficulty of her transition. He wanted to talk to her about it but needed to find the right time. 

They stopped at motel after motel, state to state, living off of a credit card Louis gave them. It had been a few weeks since they left his home and they both missed him dearly. They agreed to wait a little longer before calling him to check in. 

By now, night had fallen and they were settling into yet another motel for the night. Harry was stood at the foot of the bed in a clean pair of boxers, fishing out a new shirt. He had just taken a shower, his hair still wet and strung together, free-flowing at its finest. He settled on the same white shirt he kept from the hospital. He kept constantly gazing at her huddled form at the top of the bed, opposite Harry. She sat against the headboard, her knees pulled into her chest and her eyes remained in one place. Harry crawled onto the bed, now sitting in front of her unmoving figure. He placed his hand on her knee, drawing her attention to him.

"Love," he said with a sigh, "I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine," she countered. 

"Baby, you barely talk to me. I know all this is a mess, I do. I just want to help but I can't if you don't talk to me." 

She sighed, now realizing how much she's isolated herself. She unwrapped her arms from her knees, crawling over to lay in Harry's lap. He held her tightly and kissed the top of her head a few times. 

"What's going on, love?" he prompted. 

"I'm just scared, I guess," she said. "The whole idea that no one knows where we are...it's weird, Harry. It's a lot to take in. And...and I just get scared that what we have is just 'cause of that place. We're out now. It's...it's like we're just two ghosts."

Harry was a bit taken back by her words. He presumed her fears of the situation, but her fear of their relationship was one that he never considered. 

"Love, I would have left you back there if what we have was just 'cause of that place," he reassured her. "And maybe we are two ghosts. That doesn't mean we have to look at it like it's a bad thing. You and I both know that place was brutal and killed all personalities that stepped foot in there. So, maybe this is just us trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat." She nodded against his chest. "I'm never leaving you, baby. Not back in the hospital. Not on the road. Not in the future. I told you, it's you and me for as long as you like."

"We're not who we used to be," she muttered, playing with the neckline of his shirt. A shirt she remembered all too well.

"And we don't see what we used to see," Harry added. "We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me. Now we get to reshape our lives. Live how we want. We'll make it through, love." Again, she nodded in agreement. Harry smiled down at the small girl in his lap he admired so much. "Come on," he muttered to her, "we should sleep." She was quick to comply.

Harry laid on his back with her cuddled into his chest. He held her close, as he always did, and gently brushed her hair out of her face. He could stare at her all night, if time allowed. He loved the way the moon danced over her good side. Who was he kidding? Every side was her good side. He always felt tongue-tied around her. Though, in her eyes, he always knew what to say.

He wished these moments of peace could last forever for her. The serenity of her living in her dream worlds was all he could hope to give her for eternity. He'd never met someone like her before. Someone who held so much mystery about them that he felt it was his rightful duty to figure them out. Never had he wanted to care for someone so diligently for the rest of his life. Never had he had the desire to have and hold and kiss someone as long and as many times as he possibly, humanly could.