Chapter 7

"It is true you don't see many dwarf women. In fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, they are often mistaken for dwarf men.", tells Gimli.

Hours have passed since we left Edoras. The trip has actually been enjoyable so far. Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, Eowyn and I have all been talking and joking with each other. Legolas is taking a break from riding, so he joins me and Eowyn.

"It's the beards.", Aragorn whispers to Eowyn, pretending to stroke one.

Eowyn hides a giggle.

"And this in turn has given rise to believe that there are no dwarf women." Gimli continues, "That dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground! Which is of course ridiculous."

The horse Gimli rides sprints off a little distance, and he falls off.

"It's all right! It's all right. Nobody panic." Gimli exclaims, "That was deliberate!"

Eowyn and I burst out laughing.

"I have not seen my niece smile in a long time" I hear Theoden's voice with my elf hearing, "She was a girl when they brought her father back dead. Cut down by orcs. Eowyn watched her mother succumb to grief."

I turn and see Aragorn talking to the king.

"Nor have I seen my mellon Amber smile a real smile. Not since the Fellowship."
(Friend)

"Seems like Eowyn fancies him." Legolas observes, looking over to her and Aragorn glance at each other.

"I know." I say seriously, "Aragorn's heart will always belong to Arwen but I don't want my friend to get hurt."

"We will stop to set up camp for the night.", Theoden announces suddenly.

Everyone goes to find a spot and begins unpacking stuff. Aragorn sits by himself, lost in thought. I go over to Gimli and Legolas.

"It feels good to stop." Gimli says, "I'm exhausted."

"I think anyone would be tired after falling off a horse.", Legolas brings up.

"It's probably just the embarrassment." I say amused.

"Hey!" Gimli growls, "Watch it!"

"I am sorry, I didn't mean any offense.", I say, trying to keep a straight face.

"You must be at least sixty. Seventy? But you cannot be eighty!", Eowyn's shocked voice reaches me.

"Eighty-seven."

I watch Eowyn and Aragorn chat.

"You are one of the Dunedain. A descendent of Numehor, blessed with long life.", she puts together.

"There are few of us left. The Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago.", Aragorn states.

"Amber? You should not be eavesdropping.", Legolas remarks.

"Force of habit.", I shrug innocently.

"Aragorn's not old at all to me.", he says.

"You have been spying too!" I catch him, "You really shouldn't."

"He is under one hundred!" Legolas ignores my comment, "Meanwhile you and I are over a thousand."

I don't respond.

"Right?" he notices my silence, "Wait, you're under?"

I nod in response.

"How young?", he questions.

"Three hundred and fifty-four.", I mumble.

Unfortunately Legolas understood me.

"Only three hundred?!"

"And fifty-four.", I correct.

"You're so young! I was positive you were older than me.", Legolas says.

"Sorry to disappoint."

"You are even younger than-", Legolas breaks off.

"Than who?", I press.

"An old friend of mine.", he finishes.

"The one who watched over Mirkwood with you?", I ask, remembering our conversation in Lothlorien.

"Yeah.", he says in a tone to drop the subject.

"If you two are just going to talk, I'm searching for food.", Gimli says.

"You do that.", I reply.

Legolas and I talk for a little while. Gimli comes back to us with an armful of food. When it gets dark, Gimli falls asleep. Legolas and I watch the night sky.

"You know you need to rest too. When was the last time you did?", Legolas asks.

"I don't know.", I tell him the truth.

"You need to sleep. Amber, you are not any use half-alive.", he tries.

"Fine, I'll try to rest.", I give in.

"Good. Losto vae.", he says leaving.
(Sleep well)

Haldir leaves the gates of Lothlorien. A few hundred elven warriors follow behind him. What are they leaving for?

The time of the elves is over. Do we leave Middle Earth to its fate?

"Amber, quel amrun."
(Good morning)

I wake up and see Aragorn.

"Looks like you got some rest for once." he says, helping me up, "We leave in a few minutes."

"Alright.", I say, walking off to find Eowyn.

She helps villagers pack up and I join in silently. In no time, we head out again. Aragorn walks with us this time.

"Where is she? The women that gave you that jewel.", Eowyn asks, seeing the evenstar around his neck.

I feel like I am interrupting something so I walk ahead. It is no use since I can still hear them.

"She is sailing the undying land, with all that is left of her kin."

I hear the sadness in his voice, no matter how hard he suppresses it. Aragorn was heart broken when he left Arwen for the Fellowship. He masked his pain and focused on the Fellowship, but deep down it troubles him greatly.

Legolas stands on a rock in the distance, scouting with two guards. Something is near. I run to them, ignoring stares and comments as I go. Leaping up on the rock Legolas is on, I get my bow ready. He notices my alarm and gets his bow out too.

"Something dangerous is close, be weary.", I warn the guards Hama and Gamling.

As they hear me, a warg appears out of nowhere. I shoot it, but the warg strikes at Hama. Blood oozes from his torso. Hama lies on the ground, dead.

--------------------------------------------

Mellon: Friend

Losto vae: Sleep well

Quel amrun: Good morning

~Talia Spirit