Chapter 9

I hold my mithril pendent out of habit. The Evenstar feels warm in my other hand. As Legolas makes his way toward me, I tuck the necklace under my shirt.

"Aragorn cannot be dead." I say before I can stop myself, "First Boromir, now him. I refuse to believe it."

"Amber.", he whispers, wiping a tear from my cheek I didn't know I shed.

I jerk back in surprise. Immediately I want to apologize, but another part of me doesn't want to for something so small. It doesn't matter at a time like this anyway. Legolas takes two steps back but continues like nothing happened.

"I know it is hard but people die in battle. Just remember Aragorn and what he'd want you to do-"

Aragorn rides Brego. He is wounded, tired, but alive still.

"Mae carnen, Brego, mellon nîn.", Aragorn praises the horse, overlooking Helms Deep.
(Well done, Brego, my friend)

I see thousands and thousands of Urk-hai, marching toward Helms Deep.

Then my view changes to Haldir and elvish warriors exiting the gates again...

I come back, not leaning on anything or anyone. Praising myself mentally, I smile. Legolas gives me a questioning look.

"He's alive. Aragorn is alive!", I exclaim.

"Is that what you saw?", he asks unsure.

I nod. Proving so, people rush to the courtyard.

"I'm gonna kill him." we hear Gimli cry, pushing everyone out of the way, "You are the most luckiest, reckless man-"

"Sounds like Aragorn." Legolas laughs a little, "You were right!"

Aragorn moves through the crowd and comes toward us.

"Le abdallen." Legolas smirks, "You look terrible."
(Your late)

Aragorn gives a weak laugh. Holding myself back no longer, I hug him. At first he tenses up, but he gets over the surprise and returns the hug.

"Don't you ever be late like that again, or else we will have a problem, mellon.", I say.
(Friend)

Releasing him, I give the Evenstar back.

"Hannon le, Amber.", he thanks.
(Thank you)

As I look behind, Eowyn walks away.

"We need to go to the king.", Aragorn says seriously.

We walk to the hall. Aragorn bursts through the doors, Gimli, Legolas and I behind him. Theoden looks like he just got slapped.

"Isengard Uruk-hai are coming." Aragorn gets to the point, "A great host of them."

"A great host, you say?", the King slowly recovers from his shock.

"All Isengard is empty.", he replies.

"How many?"

"Ten thousand strong at least."

The King looks at Aragorn again.

"Ten thousand!?", he says shocked again.

"It is an army bred for a single purpose." Aragorn explains, "To destroy the world of men."

"Let them come.", Theoden growls, walking outside as we follow.

"I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms, to be ready for battle by nightfall." Theoden orders his soldiers, "We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the walls or set foot inside the Hernburg."