Chapter One

(Autumn 2017)

Why is everything grey? That is the first thing I have noticed since moving here. It's supposed be summer and yet all it has done is rain, making the clouds a dull shade of grey. It then makes the buildings look grey, the streets are grey. I'm glad to be here though.

It has been a big change to get used to, coming from a small town in Kentucky all the way to London. Why do the Brits drive on the left? Is it just to confuse everyone else or is there an actual reason for it? Not everyone sounds like they are from Downton Abbey either which was another surprise. Who knew there were so many accents??? I didn't! I've not even had a glimpse at the Queen either.

Not knowing how this country works is a nice distraction though. I feel like I might even grow to like the rain and the people have been friendly enough. Even the bar that I am currently in seems to have a good atmosphere. In fact, I think there's a girl checking me out. I could be wrong , wait – she's looking my way. Definitely checking me out.

Well on that note I am going to sign out and talk to the beautiful girl in fornt of me.

Wish me luck in London and with my new life,

Love Cassie  xx

Slamming my laptop shut, I look up to see the girl I had just been writing about still staring at me. An older part of me wants to get up and introduce myself to her but the newer part can't convince me to get up off of the seat.

Luckily for me she is making her way towards me.

"I haven't seen you around here before," she comments, hovering on the spot next to me.

There's an accent when she speaks, something European I think which sounds like a stupid thing to say considering that I am currently in England.

"I only moved here a couple of weeks ago," I tell her.

"Ahh you're an American? What brings you over here then?" she pulls out the chair next to me and sits down.

"I don't even know your name so why would I tell you that?" I ask her while trying to keep my tone light and flirty.

"Karla so now you can tell me," she says with a wink.

"Buy me a drink and I'll tell you mine," I flirt back with her, unsure of where this confidence is coming from.

Karla gets up from the seat and heads towards the bar. She has no trouble fighting through the crowds of people who are also getting drinks. Men let her slide in front of them, probably so they can get a better view of her ass which does look like a nice ass from what I have seen.

Only a few minutes later, Karla comes back with two cocktails in hand.

"I didn't know what you wanted so I just got two long island ice teas. Thought it was appropriate considering you are an American after all,"

"Thanks, although I can say this is the first time I have ever had one," I tell her as I take a sip of the drink.

"So Little Miss America, do you have a name?" Karla asks me while flicking her hair back.

"How did you guess it straight away?" I joke with her which causes her to laugh. "I'm Cassandra but most people call me Cassie," I say to her.

"That's a pretty name. So where did you move from?" Karla asks me while continuously playing with her hair. She takes strands of her long chestnut hair and twirls them around her fingers.

"Kentucky, just a small town in the middle of nowhere. What about you? You don't sound like you're from here either."

"I'm not. I'm from Italy. A small town outside of Florence. I've also not been here that long, just over a month," she tells me and then takes a sip of a drink.

I study her face and notice that every time she smiles a dimple forms on the right side of her face, making her look even cuter than she is.

"What are you here for then?" I ask her.

"To study, I got accepted into Cambridge, a long life dream of mine. What about you?"

"I don't know. I'm mainly here to get away from stuff. A new start." I tell Karla who raises an eyebrow for me to continue but I don't.

For a minute we just sit in silence, taking in the atmosphere and each other. The conversation soon picks up again when I start asking Karla about what she is going to study and she also tells me more about her home life.

"Shit, I'm really sorry but I have to go. I've got a train that I need to catch early in the morning but I would like to do this again," Karla says to me after a couple of hours of talking.

"It's okay, I'll walk you out," I say, as I grab my coat and follow Karla out of the pub.

The two of us stumble out of the pub and the cool air makes us realise that we are drunker than what we thought.

"So will I see you again?" Karla asks me as the two of us stand against a wall.

"I hope so," I tell her.

The next thing I know, Karla leans her head towards me and brushes her lips against me. The kiss then becomes more powerful and hungry so much so that Karla has pushed me against the wall without even realising.

"Wait a minute, can we stop?" I ask when I am able to break away.

"Of course my sweetie. Are you alright?" she asks me as she brushes a few of my blonde strands of hair away from my face.

"I'm fine, it was just a little bit too fast but I am fine." I tell her.

"Okay, that's fine my sweetie. You take your time," she whispers in my ear.

"Thank you," I whisper back to her.

"Well here is my number," Karla says, writing her number on my arm. "Call me when you can," she says before giving me one final kiss on the cheek.

I watch her as she walk away into the night, her hair bouncing with every step.

"I will," I mutter under my breath.