Awakening

Live, Kurogane Suabara.

My consciousness suddenly sparked into life, and in my panicked frenzy, I exclaimed the most inappropriate statement for my situation.

"Don't touch my peanut butter!"

Nobody replied, of course, and it was indeed a violent awakening. But now my eyes were opened up, and I was awake.

I was quickly met with an unfamiliar environment. White tiles lined both the walls and the floor, with occasional streaks of blue on the edges of certain tiles, forming crisscrossing lines all over the room. All these lines running across and down the room made it feel like a cage, and that triggered my claustrophobia, even if the room was rather spacious.

Okay, Suabara, calm yourself. You are just in a room that you have never been in before. Surely nothing to be wary of.

I don't know where I am! I could be... I could be...

Calm yourself. Nobody is trying to dissect you. If you are so anxious, then let us inspect the place a little.

I guess that'll be fine. I would lose my anxiety once I get much more...familiarised with the place.

I calmed myself with an internal talk, that eventually stabilised my anxiety. It was weird, but I always had the habit of having internal dialogues. Sometimes I would even talk to myself in front of the mirror, contradicting myself statement after statement. It was definitely eccentric, but I did read once that doing so has positive effects when not related to a mental health disorder. It was strange, though—perhaps it was just my imagination, but it seemed more independent this time around.

A good scan of the area may even give us hints of what is happening right now.

Okay, then let's see what we have here.

Right above me were ceiling lights, the kind that had two rod-shaped light bulbs encased in a rectangle. There were two of them, which made the lighting more or less even throughout the room, except for the far edges, which were slightly dimmed because of their placement.

On the end of the room was a door made of some kind of metal, likely steel. The window on its upper half was quite cloudy, which made it impossible to identify anything behind it. Quite the contrast from the glass doors to my left, which were clear. These were framed with baby blue curtains, limiting the view to a small balcony area, complete with a potted plant.

After identifying a bit more of the further items, I then turned my attention to my immediate surroundings. That was when everything finally hit me in the head, and I mentally scolded myself for being so slow.

I am utterly disappointed with you. You can tamper with computers of all kinds, but fail to recognise machinery just a foot away from your body?

I am still a little slow, okay? I just got back from unconsciousness. Do you expect me to immediately be a hundred percent?

Fine. I cannot blame you yet, kid. Blaming aside, it would be in out best interest to wait for the doctors. They will most likely be able to answer our questions.

Like how we even got here?

Yes.

I was indeed baffled. The last memory I could remember was getting ready for a car ride with my father. We were supposed to attend a formal party that day—that was all I could properly recall. Everything else after was a vague mess. I could only imagine how long ago that was. Three months? A year? How did I even end up in a hospital?