Chapter four

Miguel waited until nightfall to wander through the manor. He wasn't sure if the vampire slept or not, but if he didn't, at least Miguel had the cover of night to hide under if he was caught. He shivered as a chilly breeze blew through the hall, causing some candle flames to quiver on their wicks. He was awfully hungry, so even if he didn't find a way to escape, at the very least he could nab a bun to eat.

The halls of the manor were carved from a dark navy blue marble, portraits of various people lined the hall with their throats slashed, bits of the canvas hanging from the frame. The sight sent a chill down his scoliosis, but he continued slinking down the hallway. Eventually, he came across a large door near the end of the hall. Holding his breath, he lightly gripped the golden handles of the door and stepped inside.

He was instantly hit with the smell of warm soup and spices. A grand buffet was set out on a long table in front of him, filled with every food he could imagine. His mouth watering, he immediately dashed to the table and began downing a vat of chicken soup. He had never had such delicious food in his entire life. The explosion of juice and salt and savory flavor was almost too much to bare. He moved on from plate to plate, eating and eating until he felt as though he was going to burst. And then he heard the voice behind him.

"Try not to get any food on the tablecloth. That stuff is pure satin."

Miguel felt his heart almost leap out of his chest. His arms flailed in shock, knocking over several plates and chalices before whipping around to see who had spoken to him.

"Chel?" He gasped, "What, why, how?"

It was true. Chel, his former neighbor was standing behind him... in a maid outfit... with fangs.

"You're a vampire!?" Miguel felt his fear vanish and morph into anger, "You've been one this entire time?!"

"Well duh," Chel placed a hand on her hip, "Who else was going to lure you to this place."

"Lure...?" Miguel questioned quietly, his mind starting to whir.

"Oh yeah, Lord Tulio has had his eye on you for quite a while," Chel winked and sashayed around the table, her skirts billowing, "He had me go undercover for a few years to gain your trust, then I had Altivo run off leading you straight here."

"I... need to sit down..." Miguel flopped onto one of the chairs bordering the table, flabbergasted, "So everything is... a lie."

"Aw, don't feel so down about it," Chel patted the side of his cheek, "You are in a better place."

"I'd rather be back in that hell hole of a village," Miguel pouted, "At least I had a free will there."

"You will be free to do whatever you please when the time comes," Chel spun dramatically on her heels, "Lord Tulio may appear brooding, but he's a real softie once you get to know him."

As soon as she said that, the grand doors of the dining hall opened, and none other than the vampire Tulio walked in. His jet black hair shone with oil in the candlelight, an intricately tied ribbon holding it out of his face. His features seemed more rugged and carved in this dim light. It was enough to bring a little heat to Miguel's face. He quickly looked away, embarrassed that he would think such a thing.

"Well speak of the devil," Chel smirked before curtsying, "Good evening, Lord Tulio. I pray everything is too your liking."

"I will be dining on one thing only tonight," Tulio responded and waved her away, "Leave us."

"As you wish," Chel nodded and exited the room swiftly, leaving Miguel alone with the beast.

Tulio was silent for a moment, before he pulled up a chair and settled himself in it, propping his elbow on the table as he stared at Miguel's terrified face.

"Eat." He commanded, "I find blood to be less savory if the host is starved."

Miguel wanted to defy him, to throw down his fork and decline the offer, but his instincts told him that any variation of the sort would get him killed. He slowly grabbed a bun from a nearby platter and took a bite. An ensemble of buttery flavors exploded in his mouth, almost knocking him off the chair in surprise. He couldn't stop himself as he reached out and ate more and more of the delectable foods that lay before him, so much so that he could barely move after he had finished. Tulio had been silent as he watched the whole thing.

"Delicious, is it not?" The corner of Tulio's mouth turned up.

"It's better than anything I've ever had in my life," Miguel answered, slowly looking across at him. For a moment, the vampire's dark eyes seemed to soften.

"Good," He mused after a while, "All the flavors and the juices shall drift into your bloodstream, making my feast all the more..."

Tulio was suddenly crouched on the table, his fangs ready to strike, "Satisfying."

Miguel tried to scream and escape, but Tulio had already worked his hand around his neck. The vampire pulled him close, before sinking his fangs into Miguel's soft skin.

His whole body stiffened, his heart beginning to pound. It was an odd feeling. The pain in his neck was almost too much to bare but... it felt good. Miguel melted into Tulio's grip, letting his drink more and more of the scarlet nectar. Miguel could've let this go on for a life time, but it appeared that Tulio had had his fill. He pulled out and released Miguel, letting him fall to the floor.

"Clean yourself up," Tulio command as he wiped the corner of his mouth with his sleeve, "You have a long rest of your life ahead of you."

Miguel was a panting mess, feeling the area that Tulio had bitten. The blood was warm and silky, leaving his hand in a reddish tint. So this was his life now? A thrall?

If so, he definitely could get used to this.