01 // Florida

I glanced at Jake, worry written all over my face.

He says he's fine, but I've been his best friend and only friend for ten years. I know better.

A few weeks back, Jake had found his grandfather dead, with his eyeballs nowhere to be seen. It must've been such a traumatising experience.

"The police said that it was dogs. He chased them out of the house, but then got a heart attack. And they said..." Jake trailed off, recalling to his therapist, Dr Golan. "They said that when dogs are hungry, they go for the soft parts."

I watched as Jake swallowed, my heart sinking.

×

"Do you believe them?" I asked Jake, lying on his bed, my ankles crossed behind me.

He shrugged, "I guess."

I narrowed my eyes, "You don't."

He kept quiet.

I reached over, snatching the book out of his grasp. I slid the postcard out, before returning the book to Jake.

"So, are you going?" I questioned, showing him the postcard.

He shrugged again, "Sure. Besides, I need to know if all the stories my Grandpa had told me were true."

"Your parents will think it's a horrible idea." I informed him, turning over to lie on my back.

"No, they won't," He argued lightly, sounding as though he was trying to convince himself. "It's a great idea."

×

"Absolutely not." Jake's mom snapped.

Jake opened his mouth to protest, but I beat him to it. "Well, with all due respect, Ma'am, don't you think it'll benefit Jake? I mean, he goes, he sees, he leaves. It'll put his mind at rest with all that's happened." I said, my voice dripping with sarcastic politeness.

I absolutely did not like Jake's parents.

"She has a point," Dr Golan told my parents. "It may be good for Jake."

Jake's mom huffed, "Well, I'm definitely not taking a leave from work to accompany you there."

"Dad can take me," Jake suggested hopefully. "And there'll be many birds there too. Dad can go bird-watching."

"And I'll be going to make sure Jake doesn't fall and die." I said, grinning at Jake.

He rolled his eyes, shoving me lightly.

And just like that, it was settled.