08 // Raising The Dead

- J A K E -

Sunlight was streaming through the windows when I opened my eyes.

I blinked, focusing on the small, red flower Emma had tucked into my pocket just yesterday. It lay on the bedside table, where I had left it.

I reached a hand out to touch it, but as soon as my finger came into contact with the flower, it disintegrated. Into a pile of dust.

I sighed, sitting up groggily.

Dad was still asleep.

I straightened. This meant that I could go back. To see Miss Peregrine, and the kids. To see Emma.

I got up, all of a sudden cheery.

At the foot of the bed, Jacqueline lay curled up, sound asleep. She seemed tired.

I left the room, leaving her be.

I started down the stairs, but halfway there, I saw the weird, bird-watching guy from the beach. He was talking to the manager of the hotel and they seemed serious. They both turned to look at me, and something told me to run.

I quickly went back to the room, and looked for a way out.

There was only the window.

Ah, well.

Here goes nothing.

- J A C Q U E L I N E -

Really?

Jake left and he didn't tell me?

Wow, Jake. Best friend of the year.

I ran to the cave, where I knew the loop would be.

When I had awoken, Jake was nowhere to be seen, and Franklyn was snoring away. Jake must've went back to see Emma.

I ran through the loop, and out of the cave.

I smiled as I entered 1943.

I greeted everyone as I passed them. Millard and Hugh, who were playing soccer as usual, stopped their game briefly to invite me to play, but I declined. I asked them on Jake's whereabouts, and Hugh shrugged, while Millard told me that he had last seen Jake with Enoch.

Oh, no.

I thanked them and sprinted to the house.

After endless of searching, I found them.

- J A K E -

I watched warily as Enoch gave me a smug look, before he slowly took a small heart from a jar, and somehow tried to raise the dead.

The breath left my body as Victor sprang to life, sitting upright to face me.

There was a pause, before Victor spoke. "Hi, nice to meet you. My name's Victor."

I jumped at his voice.

Before I managed to get my legs working and get the hell out of here, an ear-piercing scream reached my ears.

I whirled around, recognising that scream.

"Jacqueline!" I exclaimed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Jacqueline turned her wide eyes to me, "What am I doing here?! What the hell is that thing?!"

I didn't reply, instead, I grabbed her and we dashed down the stairs. I was sure we both had plans to leave and never return.

However, we came face-to-face with Miss Peregrine and the kids.

"Jake, Jacqueline. We're going for a walk. Would you join us?"

I exchanged a look with Jacqueline.

She gave me a resigned look, and we shuffled over to join them.

Enoch soon came down as well, but I walked over to where Emma was, keeping my distance from him.