4 . Charles Kuilima

My eyes glided upon Jade's handwriting one last time . She left me here, alone in my room, longing to  go back to the beginning of our summer, to get us all back together and do it all over again .

I grabbed the cash she sent me and it felt as though I had no choice then . So I texted Charles out of the blue, just a vague message to see his reaction . I didn't know if he had expected me to try to get in touch earlier . But I hit send despite the anticipation .
Not too sure why, but then I just walked away . I got up from my bed, left the whole package there and walked out the house and stood in my garden .

It's the end of August and the temperature would be unbearable if it wasn't for the light sea breeze raising from the ocean down the pine forest behind our house . The warm, dry,  sandy soil against the soles of my feet was always my favorite feeling in the world .

I start walking around, mindlessly inspecting the trees and bushes in our yard, laundry smells from the sheets my neighbors hung outside earlier floating into my nostrils, a group of kids from school pass by on the pine-needle-covered trail behind me, the blond boy leading them rings his bike's bell and waves at me as soon as he recognizes me, I see their smiles and hear their greetings fuse to my ears . Their joyful spirit touches me and the smile cracking my face in half feels so natural, it's almost instinctive .

- Oh Hey ! Have a good one dudes!, I answer.

They had colorful skateboards strapped to their bikes, and they look so much like we did .

I can feel sweat peaking at the pores of my scalp so I get back inside and run upstairs . I freeze as I get to my doorway staring at my phone screen, trying to see if the little notification LED lights up ...
Holy crap it does .
YES .

I slump onto my bed and unlock my phone .

-"Hey Charlie Charlie ! Been a while hyd ??

- Hey ! Gud, sup ?

Okay so he's not pissed, good point .

- Nothing much, I'm kinda bored, wanna hangout ?

...CURRENTLY EDITING...