Chapter 8

Once again, my enemies didn’t provide much of a challenge.
I took out the ones that were digging up the earth first.  They were unprepared and were not ready for combat. I was able to kill the first three workers with my katana without anyone noticing, but I couldn’t prevent the third one from yelling as he perished.
I shot the two remaining workers with my pistol multiple times as they tried to flee into the forest. As they collapsed to the ground lifelessly, two of the three-armed fighters unleashed a rain of bullets with their machine guns.I was able to go behind one of the clawed machines that the workers were using for cover. A few seconds later, the barrage had stopped, and the sound of gun fire and metal impacting metal no longer echoed through the air.
I was about to throw a smoke grenade from my belt holster when the machine guns had stopped, but then I heard a loud bang, like the of a rifle. Then suddenly, my soulcepter had activated.
I sensed something was coming straight at my head, so I ducked down, and sure enough a bullet had pierced through the machine with in spiraling motion and tremendous force. Two more of powerful bullets were shot and I had to quickly move my leg and shoulder to avoid damage. 
I figured that if I didn’t take action soon that they would land an accurate shot eventually. So I went with my initial plan and threw the smoke grenade into their vicinity.
The grenade engulfed them in a thick cloud of a grey fog. They could no longer see me but I could sense every move they made. Their movements told me that they weren’t searching for me but rather trying to get away. Perhaps they knew what I was capable of. I didn’t dwell on the thought for too long, for I had a job to do. So I pierced my blade through the heart of one gunman, and the skull of the other.
I wiped the blood off my blade and walked up to the solid metal door. There was a coded access panel to its side which I had no hint to what the combination could be. Luckily Kane had provided me with a Q-ring. Despite its name, the Q-ring is a seemingly regular metal bracelet, But within the metal coating is technology that allows the user to get passed any type of coding, or digital password that could bring harm to the mission. So I held my wrist up to the panel, and a few seconds later a green light flashed and the doors slid open.
The opening of the doors revealed an elevator. I went inside and selected the option to go downwards. I couldn’t tell how far down I went, but all I knew is that I was deep.
When the elevator finally came to a stop the doors opened to and showed me a long hallway, like that of the previous lab. But it was empty, Completely void of life other than myself. On the other side of the hall there was a regular looking wooden door. With my blade in hand I steadily made my way to the other side, ready for enemies to rush me the moment I opened that door.
I quickly opened the door ready for bullets to fly at me, but all I saw was one person standing in the middle of a blank white room. This person was a bit taller than me and was muscular; an experienced fighter. He wore a similar combat suit to mine and was equipped with two gauntlets, with tubes leading from his hands to his back. The combat boots he wore also had tubing leading to his back. He also wore a mask over his mouth and nose, which I assumed allowed him to respire in gaseous conditions.
The man stared at me with his sky-blue eyes and said “What you seek lies beyond the doors behind me. You know what you must do if you wish to proceed.” After his statement with his raspy voice, he took a fighting stance similar to that of a boxer, except he kept his hands opened.
I didn’t want to waste any more time than I already had. So, to end it quickly I took my pistol and shot multiple rounds aimed at different parts of his body. His reaction to my attack was not what I expected. Instead of trying to move or dodge, he clenched both of his fists, and when the bullets approached him they stopped in midflight when they got close to his body. He then unclenched his fists and the bullets dropped straight to the floor.
At that moment I thought to myself, “This will be interesting”