chapter thirteen

13

  "I'm going to Liam's!" I yell, running down the stairs with my backpack in hand.

  Mom steps out of the kitchen, wearing a frown and drying her hands off from washing dishes. "Taryn, it's a school night."

"I know it's a school night, that's why I'm going over," I say. "I have this huge pre exam for calculus tomorrow, and Liam's insanely good at calculus."

  "Why don't you just ask Reed to help you?" Mom asks, raising her eyebrow.

  I roll my eyes. "Reed doesn't take calculus, he's in precalc."

  Mom crosses her arms. "Honey, I know Liam is nice and all, but he's a little too old for you. Maybe you should find a tutor more around your age, and hang out with that girl you're friends with. What's her name? Kylie? Karlie?"

I give her a blank look. "Really, Mom? A) Liam and I are friends, b) I have had other tutors and they made zero sense, whereas Liam does, c) her name's Kayla and we aren't that close, and d) I'm eighteen, I can make my own decisions. And what's your problem with Liam? You've known him forever."

  "What are we talking about?"

I look over and see Dad walking in. "Taryn wants to go over to Liam so he can help her study for her calculus test. I'm telling her he's too old for her," Mom explains. Once again, I roll my eyes.

"Oh yeah, I agree. I think you should stop hanging around him so much, hang out with more people your own age," Dad says, giving me the 'dad look', as I call it.

"You guys are so melodramatic. He's my friend, and I can make my own decisions, like getting a passing grade in Calculus by having Liam help me study," I tell them, walking past them into the foyer by the door.

"Taryn Leigh, if you step out that door you may as well not come back. I do not want you seeing that boy any more and that's final!" Mom says, raising her voice.

"What the hell is your problem? I need help on my calculus, so I might actually pass!" I snap. "I'm tired of everyone giving me shit about being friends with Liam."

  "Don't speak to your mother that way-"

  "You know what? You should go, Taryn. Like you said, you're eighteen. You can make your own decisions, and that includes finding a place to live," Mom says, looking away from me.

  I look at her in disbelief. "You can't be serious. You're kicking me out? This is stupid, I'm still in high school!"

  Mom doesn't respond, and Dad stays silent. I scoff and nod slowly. "Fine. I'll be gone in ten minutes," I say, walking around them to the stairs. I bust through my bedroom door, and grab an old duffle bag from my closet. I throw underwear, bras, and clothes into it, then move to my bathroom. Lastly, I open the top drawer of my dresser and grab my life's savings. It's just over a thousand dollars, from various allowances, birthdays, and holidays. I shove the wad of cash in the bottom of my bag. I zip it shut, and throw it over my shoulder with my backpack.

  As I told them I would be, I'm done in ten minutes. I'm about to run down the stairs, but Reed stops me. "Where are you going? And with a bag?"

  "Don't worry about it," I say, turning back around.

   He grabs my wrist. "Tell me what's going on," he demands.

  I sigh. "Long story short, Mom just kicked me out. I'm going to Liam's," I tell him. "I'll be safe, don't worry."