"Oh my god!I got in!"

"Congratulations dear,I can't believe you got into the most prestigious university in this region!"

How petty.And by petty,I mean me.I'm pathetic.How many other people in the world are spying on a high school grad's conversation with their parents?

I let out an exasperated sigh as I dive into my third 2,000 won baked potato I got in the floating night markets infront of the 7/11.I don't know why I decided to leave the comfort haven that is my bed for more than 10 minutes today,but I guess it just happened.You can't say no to a steaming hot baked potato worth that little of a price.

I set down the potato wrapped up in a nice ball of foil on this old wooden bench.My hands dart for the unopened beer I bought somewhere in that night market.

"Time to crack open a cold one with the boys,"I say before chugging down the fizzy liquid.It's still cold and it leaves a bitter taste that I am all too familiar with.

I'm not a high school grad,I'm in my mid 20-s.23,to be exact.I'm already in university.I go to an art school and work in animation.Not performing arts.I can't dance or sing for shit.Trust me when I say that.

I just got a terribly low grade for my recent art portfolio and on the verge of risking my career!Amazing,am I right?What better way than to drink away the pain.

Look,I know it's a bad habit but at least I don't turn to one of those people who puke on their kid's beds and get all abusive like those people you see on Hello Counselor.I control myself.

[ Beep beep beep ]

I shuffle in my denim jacket pockets and pull out my phone.Soojung's calling.

"What the fuck do you want?"I grumbily answer.

"Whoa Jaeyeon,chill.Rough day?"My roomate Soojung,scoffs.

"Not at all,it's totally not like I'm this close to getting kicked out of school."

"Sorry to hear that.I heard about the portfolio.Let me guess,you bought a beer?"

"Do you really have to guess?"

"At least you're doing it outside.I am not going to stay up until 3 am just to pull your hair back while you're projectile vomiting after a vodka-filled night."

"That was one time."

"And the other it was a tequila-filled night."

"What do you want from me?I'm trying to calm myself down."

"Well I'll be leaving to Atlanta tomorrow.The trip got pushed forward and I had to urgently rearrange."

"Aww,I need someone to clean up my gunk after me."

"Too bad,sucker.I'll be gone for 5 months.No parties inside."

"Yes mom."I hang up on her,like I always do.Soojung and I are polar opposites.I go to art school,she goes to med school.I drink,she doesn't.I'm a mess,she cleans up.After my mess.

But I guess we somehow met in the middle of the spectrum.I can remember the first time meeting her,she was on Craigslist.I stayed in her basement before her mom kicked both of us out and we got our apartement from a friend of hers.

She always has something going on in her life,like a seminar or a student exchange.The only thing I'm exchanging is money for food.

And now I'm alone.Friday night,sounds of bars and clubs are pumping everywhere as drunk teens and adults try go to back home.

I promised Soojung I wouldn't go to bars alone,especially tonight,the day before she left.But I felt at an all-time low,like I always do,and I need something to hold on to.

I don't car which bar,or club,I just need something more to drink.

-chapter end.

hey!hope you enjoyed the first chapter.so,if you haven't figured out,you are jaeyeon are your roommate is soojung.