Gratitude

Daryl's POV:

When I saw that Y/N was breathing more regularly and calmly, I realized that she had fallen asleep. In the faint light, I watched the relaxed features of her face and the strands of hair falling over her forehead and cheeks. It was the first time since that night, serene and relaxed, I had entered her house voluntarily. But I was not relaxed at all. I felt the uncontrollable desire to escape, but I could not move. And not only because her forehead was against me... She seemed to sleep so deeply that even if I moved, I would not have woken her. I wanted to leave to get some distance between her and me again. Every time I gave up and approached, I was less and less able to undo it later.
In the weeks I'd taught her how to use weapons better, I could not help but notice her looking at me; How her voice trembled as I stood behind her to correct the posture of her arms, how her body stiffened near me; the bright smile she addressed to me in the morning as soon as she found me at the door of her house; from all the attention she has just reserved for me. I understood it when I realized that I had landed in a big mess. Y/N felt something for me... And I was still afraid to realize that there was a reason when my voice slowed down, when I corrected my posture and my lips were close to her ear; If her smile in the morning moved something in my chest; When her attention became a necessity.

On the one hand, the missions with Aaron gave me a little room to escape from these twisted and contradictory thoughts. Out there, I just had to focus on survival. But when the night came and the light snoring of Aaron was the background, I had to think all the time. I could not help but wonder if Y/N was okay. I could have forgotten her in every way, but in any case, she would have re-entered my life and my head with arrogance. That's how she was and I probably could not fully realize it. I could not understand her ability, the power she had on me... Y/N was too good to deliberately manipulate anyone. In fact, her eyes were so pure, as well as her damn openness and her friendly but sometimes freezing style.

Shit...

Even her self-pity could now make me stay. I raised the palm she had been holding for all these hours and watched her. Y/N was no longer the weak girl I met in prison, but despite her remarkable change, she was still unable to bear the burden of grief. I was annoyed to admit it, but with her strong guilt I had seen a part of me. I personally took responsibility for what had happened in the Prison. In this old hut she was the one who took my blame. Maybe we were more alike than I thought, even though admittedly it did not help getting away from her.

And now I'm here with her, helping her because of that damn Aiden... No one deserves to die except this asshole named Nicholas. Sooner or later I would have let him pay in one way or another.

As if my own inner torment touched her as well, Y/N jerked right next to me. I've never had her so close to me... Her body was warm, her chest raised and lowered regularly. My arm surrounded her, as if to save her from what she had been these days... Well, everything that happened to her, everything she hurt, everything she felt, was reflected in me again.

Shit...

Y/N's POV:

He stayed. He stayed here with you.

You could not think of anything but the joy of waking up next to him. And it was a step forward. You felt a frenzy rush into your veins and you forced yourself to stay still. Slowly you tried not to move too much and made no sound. You looked up and searched for his face. You owed him so much... Not only had he protected you, he wasn't limited to saving your life, but treating you as a normal person. You would have done anything to be able to, without fear of waking up or being rejected.