Chapter Three

A large, worn metal sign announced that we'd reached Gill's. Kelly squeezed her car into a small spot right out front. She gave me a reassuring smile. I fought down some nerves. I'd been back in town just twice since graduating, and I'd managed to avoid seeing anyone but a handful of friends. This time wasn't going to be so easy.

We walked into the smoky bar, and I took in my surroundings. I'd only been inside a few times when I was allowed to come watch bands play when I was in high school. An L shaped bar dominated one side, while tables and a small stage filled the rest of the space.

I followed Kelly to the bar and took a seat.

"Well, isn't that a sight for sore eyes!" Ronny, one of my sister's high school friends, slammed his beer on the counter and barreled over to me. He picked me up off my stool and spun me around. "What are you doing in this neck of the woods, kid? Aren't you supposed to be in law school or something?"

"Yeah, that didn't work out. I came home to figure things out, you know?"

"You don't have to explain anything, Molly." Tom hugged me after kissing Kelly hello. Five years older than me, Tom had also gone to school with Shayna. I was more than a little surprised when he started dating Kelly when we were in college, but then again, Adam had been three years older than me.

"So you're out of uniform tonight, huh?" I took the beer Tom offered. I nodded to a guy I had graduated with, but never really talked to. It didn't look like that was about to change.

"Hey, I might not be on duty, but don't get any ideas. I can still arrest you."

I held up my hands in defense. "I'll be good."

"Don't promise what you can't deliver, hon. A few years away can't have changed you that much. I know all about your past crimes."

I cringed. "I'm reformed."

"Oh no, you don't. What you need is some fun." Kelly smiled, tossing her wavy hair off her shoulder.

Tom's smile faded, replaced by a more serious expression. "So how are you holding up, Molly? You look good."

"Don't lie. I look awful. Your fiancé already made sure I knew that. But I'm doing fine."

"Fiancé? So you told her, Kelly?"

"Yup, my maid of honor is on board." Kelly beamed, and Tom kissed her. Way too much PDA for me.

"By the way, you couldn't look awful if you tried." Ronny scooted his stool closer to me.

"Thanks. You really know how to boost a girl's confidence."

"I can do a lot more than that." He wriggled an eyebrow.

"I'll keep that in mind." I smiled at Ronny's playfulness. "But isn't there a special someone who would come after me?"

"Nope, I'm as single as they come. Surprising, I know."

"Shocking." I took a few swallows of beer, enjoying the bitterness on my tongue. It actually surprised me that Ronny was single. From what I knew, he was a successful insurance agent, and he certainly wasn't bad looking.

"What about you? I heard a rumor someone was getting married."

I hesitated for a moment. This was it, the first time someone had asked the million dollar question. "No, no wedding."

"Oh. Did I hear wrong, or did you decide you didn't want his sorry ass?"

"He left me, actually." It wasn't a complete lie. He was the one who'd left.