Chapter Twelve

Ben's parents were waiting for us on the side porch. His mother stood up and hugged me the second she saw us. "It's so nice to have you here, Molly. I was so happy to hear you were back."

"Thanks, Mary. It's nice to be home."Even though Ben's dad was always Mr. Mathews, for some reason I'd always called his mother by her first name. I was prepared for a cold reception, not the warm welcome I received, so I didn't know how to act at first. "Thanks for inviting me for dinner." Mary hadn't changed at all. Her long brown hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, and she wore her usual style of casual dress.

"Of course, sweetie. I just wish we didn't have to twist your arm to get you here."

Ben jumped in quickly. "Mom, I never even asked her. It's not like she kept refusing."

"Yes, but you said you knew she would refuse."

"Which is true, so please drop it. She's here now, it's over."

I took the argument as a cue to take a seat in one of the Adirondack chairs I'd always loved.

"Can I get you something? I made some sweet tea."

"Yes, please. That would be great." She poured me a glass and had Ben hand it to me.

"I can't seem to get any real answers from my son." She turned to glare at him. "What brings you back to town?"

"I quit law school and needed a place to catch my breath for a while." I wished I had a better answer, but that one would have to do. I took a few sips of my tea.

"Do you plan to stay in town long?"

No matter how many times someone asked me the question, I still didn't have a good answer. "I don't know. I took a job at Marney's until I can figure something out. This was a last minute decision."

"What did you study in school again?" Mr. Mathews asked.

"Political science. Yeah, I know. It's not really going to help me get a job."

Ben laughed, taking a seat in the chair next to me.

"If you want more hours than Gail can give you, I am sure I can find you something at the marina. If nothing else, I could hire you to take some new pictures for our advertisements." Mr. Mathews appeared eager to help.

"Oh, thanks. That's awfully nice of you, but I'm okay really. Plus, I would take those pictures for free."

"Not a chance. I'll pay you. Why don't you stop by my office sometime, and we can discuss the details?"

"Sure. I can do that." Maybe I could make some money from photography after all.

"Great. I have to say it's nice to see you two kids together again. You've always made such a good looking couple." He smiled.

Together again? What had Ben told his parents?

"Dad, we aren't really a couple. I told you that," Ben stammered.

Mary leaned forward in her chair. "And if you recall, I told you that no girl like Molly actually wants a strictly sexual relationship."

Oh my god. Oh my god. This conversation wasn't happening. Women like Mary didn't say things like 'sexual relationship.' "Could you excuse me for a second?" I sped inside and to the half bath off the kitchen, closing and locking the door behind me.

I splashed some water on my face, trying to figure out how I was going to get myself out of this incredibly awkward situation. I didn't have my car, and I was on the opposite side of town from my house. I could conceivably walk, but it would take a while. Getting stranded without a car was becoming a pattern.