four

It was the end of June's senior year of high school. She was didn't have to take exams or worry about anything anymore, and for that, she was glad.

She had gotten into her top university, so going to school at this point was just to hang out with friends.

Prom was coming up soon, and June had made Luke promise to be here to go with her. She couldn't imagine going with anyone else.

June was just scrolling through Twitter when an incoming phone call interrupted.

Luke.

Even after almost three years, seeing his name made her heart flutter.

"Luke!"

"Hey, Junie," Luke responded, giggling at her excited reaction.

"What's up?" She asked him, putting the call on speaker so she could tie her hair up.

Luke was silent for a moment before he let out a long breath.

"I've got some bad news."

June could almost see him wince.

"What is it?" She questioned warrily.

He took in a deep breath, "Icantgotopromwithyouanymore."

"What?" She responded, genuinely confused.

"I'm so sorry, Junie, I know how much you wanted me to be there but we just got another show at Madison Square Garden, isn't that great?"

"That's amazing, Luke, but what are you talking about?"

"It's the day of prom," he told her.

June felt her heart sink. She had really wanted him there, not just to go but also to just be with him because she didn't get to see him often.

"June, you haven't hung up on me, have you?" He jokef lightly.

June sighed. "It's fine. 'S not like you control that. I probably just won't go."

"No, no, no! You have to go!"

"Luke, I really don't want to go alone."

He was silent after that. "I'm so, so sorry, baby, I wish I could be there for you."

June closed her eyes and flopped backwards onto her bed.

Times like these she wished she had a normal boyfriend, as bad as it sounds. She was probably the only eighteen year old who never could go on cute dates or get surprise visits from her boyfriend. She was honestly sick of waiting, but she knew in her soul that Luke would be worth it in the end.

"Me too."

Luke also ended up missing her graduation, so she gave him the cold shoulder.

He called over and over again until he finally got the hint that she didn't want to hear it.

Instead, he called up his mother.

"Are you sure you can handle a long distance relationship?"

Luke scoffed. "Of course I can. I love her, mum."

"It doesn't seem like it."

"It's not like I can control when I can see her!"

Liz hummed. "So all those nights when you go out with the boys, you can't control it?"

"How--"

"You don't even make an effort, Lucas."

Luke was growing angry. He did love June. He thought he did, at least.