17

SO THE NEXT morning I have to find a way to get in touch with Jubilee. Because I need to see how this part of the story ends, and because I really really really want the next thing to begin, since I'm risking it that she likes me back. 

I try to see what the beginning of the ending looks like with this: 

Me: "Mom, could I please be allowed to go to the library?"  

Her: "No. You know the terms of your punishment." 

Me: "It's for school, though. I need a book for an assignment." 

Her: "Use the library at school, then." 

Me: "But I wanted to work on it this weekend, since I can't do anything else." 

Her: Long sigh. "Okay. But you have twenty minutes to be gone. That's all, door to door."  

She actually sets a timer on her watch. 

So I sprint out to Eeyore and, as great as she performed the entire way to the west coast and back, now is the moment she doesn't want to go.  

Eeyore: Urr-uhh, Urr-uhh, Urr-uhh. 

Me: "Come on, baby. Come on, baby." 

Eeyore: Urr-uhh, Urra, Urra, Urraurraurra, Vroom! 

Me: "You're the best car in the world, you know that?" 

I actually think about driving over to Jubilee's house, but there's no way I'll be home in twenty minutes, plus The Count would probably seal me up alive in a tomb made of old tax returns. So, it takes me about five minutes to get to the library, then another couple of minutes for the ancient public computer to actually load my email.  

Then it takes me another couple of minutes to figure out how to start an email to the girl you love who knows you love her though you don't know if she loves you back yet or has decided she hates you since you ditched her in a Utah airport. That girl. 

Dear Jubilee? Hi Jubilee? Howdy!?  

Three minutes pass. I go with Dear Jubilee but feel like barfing because it might be too much. 

I tell her about the Dungeon of 1970's Technology that my mother's put me in as punishment and say that explains why I haven't been in touch. I write, "San Francisco was so amazing. I've got to tell you about it. But I can't right now because I have to be home in seven minutes." 

I tell her I'm sorry for leaving them at the airport. I say I hope that she doesn't hate me. I say I really want to talk to her sometime soon. 

I say P.S. I really meant what I said on that mountain.  

But then I delete it.  

And I send it. 

On my way running out the door, I realize I should actually come home with some kind of book, so I grab one without looking and check it out. Eeyore starts right up because she's badass like that, and I sprint in the door with the book in hand. I happen to look at it right when I come in the door. It's The Home Handyman's Complete Guide to Plumbing. So, I keep the cover hidden from my mother. 

Mom: "Wow. Thirteen seconds to spare. I was thinking I'd have to add some months to your sentence." 

~~~

For the rest of the weekend, with nothing better to do, I write in The Funniest Kid in the World. I just go and go and go. I don't stop to edit or revise or anything. I just keep thinking about what Paps says about endings.