Wildflower

"The release date we scheduled is November first," Alexis said, sliding the album art prints across the table, "congratulations on your second studio album." I smiled, looking through the pictures with Hunter. The script was perfect, I read over the lyrics and thank you notes. I was overwhelmed with amazing emotions. 

"It's perfect," I smiled, signing a few papers Alexis slid over to me, "no touring til after Christmas."

"Not a problem. You will have a bunch of call in interviews during release week and a Bobby Bones interview." She handed Hunter and I our calendars for September to December. We had so much on the go since Sutton's third birthday a few weeks ago, starting with this album and getting her ready for preschool, and just the usual events that pop up this time of year. "ACM's in two weeks, CMA's in six weeks. Jenna, Keds approached us asking if you would be interested in doing a shoe line for spring of next year. It would be one commercial and two shoe designs, one of which has proceeds going toward a cause of your choice."

"Oh wow, that's super cool. I would love to explore that." We gave everything the green light for the album and finished up our meeting just in time to pack up Sutton and visit one of the local preschools. "My heart isn't ready for this." I held Hunter's hand as we drove to one of the preschools in our area.

"This was your idea, I think she's old enough to start tuning guitars," he joked as we pulled into the parking lot, "Jen," he squeezed my hand, "you know this is kind of the next step in her life, she will do great." I nodded as we made our way with Sutton in tow.

We were greeted by a delightful young lady, "Hi I'm Miss Sandy, you must be the Hayes family, and this must be Sutton!" She shook our hands and crouched down, offering Sutton a high five. We did a tour and looked at the classrooms and discussed curriculum. "We approach learning through play and discovery." The tour continued and Miss Sandy offered Sutton play in one of the classes while we discussed the logistics.

"So, very few aspects of our life are normal." Hunter started, and I chimed in.

"Sutton was on a tour bus across the states before she could even sit up," I added, "She has been attending some different programs, mostly based on our availability to take her. What would the commitment to preschool look like say, if we started in September but she was going to be away for February through April..."

Miss Sandy nodded, understanding the gravity of my concern. "Well, Sutton isn't the first child to walk through our doors who has a parent in the industry. It must be tricky to balance your schedules and if she needs to be gone for that time, all we ask is written notice so she doesn't lose her place." 

Hunter nodded, we stressed to Miss Sandy how we felt it was important we provide her with the right opportunities to socialize in order to prepare her for school. We discussed a few other topics before wrapping up our meeting. We piled back in the car and headed home for dinner.

"How do you feel  about the preschool?" Hunter asked as we laid in bed.

"I honestly feel like I am doing a sub-par job in parenting solely based on the reaction from that teacher." I added, "I already know I will feel guilty pulling her out of preschool to go on tour."

"No, Jenna don't worry about it." Hunter wiggled closer to wrap me up in a hug. "Look at all the amazing singers who have balanced fame and parenting. We can do this because we are an amazing team. I know Sutton will appreciate these experiences as she gets older." He raised my chin up so my lips could meet his and he kissed me in just the right way to make all of my worries fade.

One thing lead to the next. Kissing to touching, to less clothes and more skin. Hunter guided me on top of him, his hands firmly holding my hips as I rocked back and forth over him, my hand moving over myself, touching just the right spot as I felt a shiver through my body. Out of breath, I leaned forward to kiss Hunter. Gracefully, he turned me over, I braced his arms and by his facial expression I could tell he was feeling good. He leaned forward to kiss me, working his was down my neck, gently sucking and nibbling his way to my collarbone before collapsing beside me.

We laid still in a perfectly vulnerable state until we heard a series of screams coming from across the hall. Hunter threw on his boxers before darting across the hall to find Sutton up, crying and sweating. I followed him once I got my robe on and turned on her night light, "What's wrong?" Sutton was cradled in Hunter's lap, she had a hard time telling us what happened.

"It was just a bad dream sweetie," Hunter whispered, laying her back down, "go back to sleep." He rubbed her back and sang her a few lullaby's until she fell back asleep. Hunter tip toed out of the room and came back to bed. "Poor thing," he whispered, "whatever is was really freaked her out." 

We decided that we would look at a few other preschools over the rest of August to decide which one would be the best fit for us. "I can ask around and see if anyone has any recommendations." Hunter said before leaving for the studio.

"I would appreciate that. Remember I have my meeting with Alexis and Keds downtown at three. Maybe we can meet up after for an early dinner?" Hunter nodded, kissed Sutton and I and headed out the door.

"We are really inspired by the song and title of your next album," Gia, the creative director at Keds explained, "we came up with these six patterns for our signature shoe." She continued her PowerPoint presentation displaying a few really cute designs. Sutton sat quietly with a colouring book at this meeting with Alexis and I. We decided that funds from the Wildflower print would go to the World Wildlife Fund. The pattern was delicate but bright yellow flowers. The other shoe was a lavender colour sneaker with lace accents. I sent pictures to Hunter and signed off on a few documents in preparation for the launch and commercial to follow. It was four thirty by the time we were heading out.

"Sutton, we are going to have dinner with daddy at a restaurant". She replied and asked to sing in the car so we sang all the way to a local chophouse. Over dinner, Hunter and I discussed the shoes, the new album and asked Sutton about school. She didn't have much to say about the topic other than she would like to go. She also asked when daddy would play soccer with her again. " if she's asking about it, I'll look at signing her up for a fall session." Hunter nodded.

The summer whipped by and before I knew it. My sister Ali had a healthy baby boy, Cade, and was planning her wedding for the following year. I was filming my Keds commercial and doing the print ads. The shoes dropped a week before my album and there was a ton of hype. Hunter won two ACM awards and I took home one ACM and one CMA. We were so fortunate to have his parents around for both award shows to care for Sutton. She began preschool and was absolutely loving it, and by no means did I feel any pang of guilt for pursuing my dreams in order to provide the best possible life for her.