Finding Your Way

*Jackson's POV*

"Jackson, I am very disappointed in you." my principal plainly stated. "What happened this year? You've never struggled to keep your grades up but now your failing in pretty much all of them."

I didn't want to hear this speech again, I had already heard it earlier when my coach kicked me off of the team and I would get another when I got home.

"Jackson, are you listening to me?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She exhaled slowly before beginning again, "Good. Look, Jackson, there is a chance you could get your old spot back if you get your grades back up. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, ma'am. I promise I will work harder than I ever have before!"

"Good, now you may go."

I grabbed my backpack off of the back of my chair and walked out the door. After getting everything I needed out of my locker I began to walk the halls. I didn't want to go home, I wasn't used to that yet. I would have been in football practice right now if I hadn't let my grades slip. I walked passed all the classroom where the clubs were held. Nothing caught my eye except one. The Theater Club. There were three students standing on desks holding their stomachs in laughter but they weren't really laughing. Two students stood between the three desk leaning back as if they were laughing, they too weren't really laughing. The other students stood in a line in front of the class in two groups. The teacher, Mrs. Dions, was sitting in her office chair next to the first group holding a box of cards. She was actually laughing. I enjoyed her class, she taught my history class, she always made sure we were having a fun time while we were learning. Mrs. Dions also had the most beautiful laugh I've ever heard. She was scanning over the class when she spotted me. She pointed her finger at me and summoned me inside the class. Everyone turned and stared as I entered the room even though I was as quiet as I possibly could be.

"Welcome, Mr. Stan." Mrs. Dions said.

"Hello, ma'am. Did you need me to do something?"

"Yes, we are one short and I want to play. So, join that group and I'll join this one." she smiled.

"Um, what?"

"Shoo shoo, go to your side!" she playfully pushed me over to the other group. My attention was on Mrs. Dions so I didn't realize that there was someone behind me. I crashed into a girl. Her caramel brown hair was braided, her hazel eyes sparkled, her makeup was done perfectly not one mistake, she looked flawless. Even her jeans were perfect, the purposely rips in her jeans were perfectly horizontal, not a wrinkle in her jeans or black t-shirt. "Excuse me." her voice was sweet like honey.

"Um, yes, oh, right, sorry about running into you like that."

"It's fine. Hey, I'm Emma." she held out her hand.

I took her extremely soft hand and shook it gently. "I'm Ja-"

"Jackson Stan the football that was dropped because of his grades." I blinked in shock, she knew that already? It just happened a few hours earlier. "I'm sorry, I'm part of the school newspaper. As soon as something as big as that happens I know about it." she smiled and leaned in a little farther. "If you ever hear anything and you want to know if it's true, come to me. I know it all."

A small laugh escaped my mouth. "Sure." she said nothing just smiled. "Um, what are you guys doing?"

"Oh, we're playing charades."

"Aren't you a theater group?"

"Yeah, this works on our on our feet thinking and acting."

"I guess I never thought about this game that way."