Dawn

I pulled my covers over my head when I heard my step sisters began to fight outside my door. Every morning they seemed to love to argue about the stupidest things right outside my bedroom door and it's not quiet. My phone alarm began to ring, my step sisters pounded on my door telling me to shut up. I stretched out my hand and hit my phone knocking it off my nightstand, I reached down to grab my phone and fell out of my bed. Once I finally turned off my alarm my stepmother was already in my bedroom ready to scold me. I sat back up on my bed as she scolded me, I hated how she and my dad have only been married for two months and she already acted like my evil stepmother.

Once she left, I ready myself for my long, boring, day at school. At least I'll see my best friend, Michael, today. I slung my backpack over my shoulder, grabbed an apple and walked out the door. My step sisters pushed me out of the way raced to my step mother's car. What about me, why don't I ride with them? Because they don't let me and because I don't want to.

***

I spotted Michael standing next to his girlfriend, Diana, they were leaning against the wall of the school. "Good morning, Dawn." Michael pulled me into a hug.

"Morning, Michael." A smile spread across my face, it disappeared as soon as Diana opened her perfectly glossed mouth.

"Well, don't you look ..... average today." she forced a smile. "I mean you could do a lot better but with what you are working with I think you did ..... okay .... I guess."

I forced a smile back at her, she was always so perfect then there I was wearing an oversized navy blue t-shirt, black jeans, old converse, no makeup, and my hair hanging in my face. I just didn't care enough and Diana used that to her advantage. I don't understand why she hates me so much but I can't say I love her. We were all ten when Diana first walked into our lives. She moved right next to my house back when I lived in one. She took an instant liking to Michael after I let her in our small group back when we were the same. Michael, at the time, wasn't interested in girls. It wasn't until 6th grade that Michael and Diana start to book date and go over to each other's houses and I was left out. As the time passed and they grew more serious, they considered themselves as a couple. They were thirteen when Michael took her out for a real date. Now, they are still dating, Diana is a queen (or at least acts and looks like it), Michael is now a football and baseball star in our school, and I am now a nerd that nobody knows about (just the way I like it). Michael and I hang out still but not as much as we used to.

Michael slung his arms around both of us, his around my shoulders and his other around Diana's waist, "Awe, come on, you guys. Can't you guys be nice to each other for once."

"We were." I said.

"A long time ago. She's just not the type of people I want to surround myself with."

"Oh and I'm sorry I'm not a self-centered, boy crazy, brat." I snapped.

She gasps, Michael was a little shocked by this. I usually snap at her when Michael is gone. "Dawn, stop." he whispered in my ear.

I turned my head away from his, I hated the fact that Michael ignored Diana's brattiness. He kept trying to push us to become friends again but I won't. I pulled away from Michael to join my first class.

***

After school I wondered to the baseball field to watch them warm up before the game, Diana and her friends were walking away from the bleachers. She never stayed from his baseball games because she couldn't handle the heat. But I came to every single one of his games and he went to all of my games. Yeah, that's right, I play sports. Volleyball, soccer, and track and field.

With hands in my pockets, I walked over to the dugout where Michael was sitting quietly in the shade. "Ready for the game?" I asked.

"Yes, hey, can you get me a snack. I didn't eat lunch and I'm starving."