Fifteen: Heir to The Throne

Just so as it happens, The Princess Sigyn is sitting on her window just as she did as a girl. Looking out over the countryside and the mountains in the distance and the large green ocean of trees between the royal capital and those mountains. She can see the Diamond River from her window that snaked through the valley and passed through the kingdom below the palace. She has a perfect view of the gardens below her tower and some parts of the city too.

As of right now, she knows the high courts and the people of Vanaheim are currently gathering to see their princess inaugurated as heir to the throne. It was the biggest news the realm has received. Their most beloved princess will be their heir. They took to the streets in celebration, hanging up wreaths and banners in her honour.

Her stomach dropped from the nerves. Becoming the heir to Vanaheim is the last thing she ever thought of wanting, or let alone happening. Just days ago she was on Midgard, searching for answers. She had her Loki, and he had her. Neither heirs to either realm. Now she sits at her window, without her husband, and next in line.

Is this her purpose in all this?

Sigyn closed her eyes and took in a soft breath. She reached out in her mind to try and find that connection she made during her time with Hydra. But as always, it was stopped short like running straight into a wall, or chopping off the limb to an animal. There was just nothing.

There was always nothing. Eventually, she told herself it was the trick of her mind while they tortured her. She could have connected to anything during that session. So now when she truely tries to reach him, there is... nothing.

A wave of cheer can be heard from her window at the masses gathering in the hall of her father below the palace. The realm celebrated today for their princess. They had never received such sudden happy news. They were told yesterday afternoon to gather at the palace for the crowning and today would be announced a holiday. A time when you can stop and enjoy the celebrations of the day.

Sigyn worried how her people would react to her coming home so suddenly and being crowned. She has lived in Asgard for half of her life. Do they want her back? Will they welcome her as Asgard's people once did? Or will they resent her? Call her a traitor who hasn't lived here for such a long time.

She has heard rumours that the people are saying now that her husband is dead she is free from her contract with Asgard. No longer trapped, or kept like a bought mare; they all rumoured.

This saddened her greatly.

"Oh, Loki." she cried. "I just want you back." And Sigyn thought, if this was Loki in her place right now he would revel in it all. The attention, the glory. Taking full advantage of his position. The thing he craved second to his wife; To rule.

Sigyn's chin perked. The small tiara on her head that branded her a princess felt that little bit more lighter.

Her chamber doors opened and two giggly girls entered.

"Siggy!" Hnoss shouted.

"Are you excited?" Gersemi said.

The twin sisters scuffled over to Sigyn both with happy smiles for her. Both are dressed in their best gowns and circlets on their heads. Gersemi is wearing a deep maroon gown, and Hnoss is in a baby blue gown. With matching tiaras. Hnoss's hair resembled Sigyn's braids, and Gersemi's hair was still the yellow tangle of mess it had always been.

When they see the tears on Sigyn's face, their smiles drop. They looked at each other.

"Don't cry, sister."

"We know how hard this is."

"It should be Sigvard in your place right now." Hnoss sadly said. "We keep him in our hearts every day."