2.Control

A mild breeze accompanies me as I rush down the lane on my rented scooter. The pods can only take you so far in this maze of a city and upper walkways are flooded by people riding scooters.

I look up at the dull gray sky and admire the rainbow-colored sheen of our city's weather control dome. It's said to be one of the kind on the entire continent. It's also said that most of the outside world is nothing but a lawless wasteland.

The timer on my scooter is nearing its last minute but I'm already at the address.

Everything's gray here, just like our citizen uniforms. Other buildings in the city dot the landscape in happier tones. Brick red, yellow sandstone, blue steel, black marble, each presiding over smaller sectors, each assigned only to certain kinds of activities and purposes so you know at a glance what's what.

But all residential blocks are gray and massive.

This towering box of cement is no different. Two hundred apartments per entryway. At least the ones facing this walkway have a nice view of the city.

I lean against the railing and find myself imagining a place where life isn't so neatly arranged, not as pragmatically boxed up and where open spaces are truly open and endless. Like the sea. I have a gallery of old photos with bodies of water that I occasionally peruse during downtime. And right now I'm tempted to bring them up in AUGi and indulge for a while.

But in the corner of my eye, a familiar tall silhouette makes its appearance. My partner for the day — One. Named so after her ranking among the Wardens. I used to be number one. But last year's evaluation hadn't gone as well as I'd have liked.

"Good morning, Three," she greets me in a linear tone that reminds me of the city's public announcements.

"Good morning, One," I respond in kind and keep my gaze fixed on her deceivingly warm carob eyes.

"Where is your badge?"

I freeze in place. She is quick and never seems to miss a thing or to pass on an opportunity to point out any misdeed. Number one for a reason I suppose. Did I use to be like her?

Once I retrieve my badge out of the inner pocket of my jacket I pin it to the left side of my chest with clear, confident gestures. All the while I'm biting my tongue.

She's eying me from head to toe. I don't flinch.

"I wear my badge all the time while I'm in public," she reveals in an even tone.

"As per Control's regulations, I put it on only when on duty."

"We are always on duty, Three. It's what being a citizen means," she says and her brows raise slightly.

Sanctimonious bitch.

I nod and turn to face the building where our mark lives.

"Times are changing, Three. You've said it yourself four years ago at your rank evaluation."

An inevitable frown crosses my face as I glare at her confused. I had no idea what she was talking about. My face returns to its go-to normal bland expression yet I'm wondering how or why she cares about the ranking speech I gave four years ago. She was probably still a rookie Warden back then.

"The number of marks per month has more than tripled in the past decade. It is a dangerous trend, one most likely brought on by foreign elements from the outside of the city, and we must all be diligent, we must all be true citizens. Control needs us, the city needs us, and most importantly, the revolution needs us," she recites and lets slip some of her admiration in her tone.