Bayard

Day after day, (Y/N) trained in the training room, the words Pidge had spoken to her the previous day pricking at her mind like a thorn.

Everything could go wrong! What if the black lion doesn't accept you like you expect it to? What if none of the lions accept you?

(Y/N) didn't care, she just wanted to work alongside her brother. She didn't care if she died or if she got hurt, she just wanted so dearly to decrease the chances of the people she cared about to get hurt. With her, there would be 8 people instead of 7. With 7 people on the battlefield, Shiro, Keith, Lance, Allura, Pidge, Hunk, and Coran, they each have a 14.2857142857% chance of getting hurt or killed. She knows; she did the math.

That's with 7 people, but with 8, it's decreased to 12.5%. It doesn't sound like much, but it sounds like the world to (Y/N). Shiro was always there to save (Y/N) and help her, now it was her turn.

Pidge was on the sidelines with her laptop. Instead of her sword, (Y/N) was using that bayard she supposedly made and had been working on ever since she saw the Paladin's use their's. "It's made to be almost exactly like the Voltron bayards!" (Y/N) said, adding the final touch, one of her made made lion stickers. The Black Lion. Pidge typed away, taking notes of (Y/N)'s movements to compare them to notes she's taken of Keith's. Keith has taught her a lot in swordsmanship, but (Y/N) had quicker footing and swung at weaker ends. Keith was all strength.

"Congratulations: You've finished Day 52 of training," said the lifeless training bot (Y/N) had been dueling for 52 days, according to the machine. Pidge clapped in the background and (Y/N) playfully bowed, beads of sweat on her forehead, out of breath. The bayard's sword blade disappeared into itself and (Y/N) hooked it to her belt.

"I still can't believe you made that! You said it's almost exactly like the bayards, but this is exactly like them!" Pidge shouted, throwing herself at (Y/N), wrapping her in a hug, almost landing her head on (Y/N)'s.

"Its nothing, really-- I mean-- ya know-- alien technology-- stuff--" (Y/N) stuttered, not knowing if she should return the hug or not.

"We have to show the others! They're going to love the news that we now have three mechanics in the castle!" Pidge exclaimed, putting her hands on (Y/N)'s shoulders. (Y/N)'s mouth curled into an excited smile as they both ran down the halls to the main room where everything hung out. It was like a living room, except the couch was literally embedded into the ground so they needed steps to get to it.

When they arrived, Pidge spilled the news to everyone in the room, Hunk, Keith, Allura, and Lance. Hunk came running to give (Y/N) a hug, Allura had to carefully set down her mice friends before sprinting over, Keith pat (Y/N) on the shoulder, and Lance was questioning how that is even possible. Poor Lance, not even understanding machinery+Altean magic can equal pretty much anything.

(Y/N) hugged Keith. "I've been practicing a lot! I wanna help you guys on missions and stuff!" Keith's face went from happiness to worry as he realized what that meant. He looked at me and I nodded. She wants to come and she's going to no matter what.