3. Costume Swap

Breaking the Rules:

Kitty Noir was miserable. Sulking on an vacant rooftop, she wiped at her face angrily and unafraid of the sharp claws at the end of her fingertips. It didn't matter anyway, nothing did expect the pain her in her chest.

The latest villain Hawk Moth had sent was ferocious, burning everything in Paris and melting anything he touched. He didn't go after the people of Paris, but went he'd set his sights on the Eiffel Tower Lucky Bug and Kitty Noir had been forced to intervene.

Flame Catcher had been tireless and he'd gotten too close. Her back had been turned to him, staring off as Lucky Bug was using his lucky charm to come up with a plan. He'd seen the villain first and pushed himself in front of her.

Flame Catcher's hand had burnt through the suit along the small of his back and Kitty Noir reacted quickly. She'd latched onto him, and pushed off the beam, allowing them to fall a few feet ahead before she'd extended her baton and balanced them both on top of it.

She thought to how his face had been scrunched in pain and the way his suit sizzled in the air. She smelt his burnt skin with her heightened sense of smell and hated the way he'd had to lean against her for strength. She'd failed to protect him. She'd failed at her job.

Lucky Bug was the only one able to cleanse the akuma and set everything in Paris right. Without his magic everything was hopeless, without her things could still proceed. Her mission was to be his partner and do everything in her power to make sure he was still standing even when everything else was falling apart. And that included her.

Sobbing softly to herself, Kitty Noir curled her body inward, bringing her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around them.

What kind of hero was she when she couldn't even protect her partner? What would Adrien think of her if he knew? How quickly would he realize she was just another lame girl trying to pretend she could save the world?

Taking a deep breath Kitty Noir raised her head to the street and saw Adrien walking on the road in front of her. He looked as gorgeous as ever, his blonde hair softly swaying in the night air and a blue scarf wrapped around his neck -the scarf she'd made for him.

Kitty Noir craved to go to him -to be comforted by him and even though the more logical part of her was against it, she could hear Plagg's voice in her head. Do what you need to do, Kid. Do what you need to do.

Wiping her eyes she subtly followed him towards his home, waiting until he disappeared inside. She leapt up on the top of metal gates surrounding his house and somersaulted onto a nearby tree, crawling on the branch that led to his window.

She sat on the edge, her legs swinging over the side and watched as he closed his bedroom door. His eyes flitted around the room anxiously and he said something, speaking to himself as he approached the center.

Then he looked out the window and his gaze fell on her.

Kitty Noir froze, unable to move as he strolled towards the window and her. Opening up the class frame, Adrien peered out into the night with his brilliant green eyes narrowed. She waited for the questions to flood her. Why are you here? Where's the akuma? What do you need?

It was no secret that she wasn't as loved as Lucky Bug. He had fans left and right while she was merely the partner every girl wanted to be. It wasn't because she did anything amazing, but rather because she got to spend so much time with Lucky Bug. Everyone thought they knew each other's identity and they probably would if Kitty Noir hadn't decided against it. Surprisingly, Plagg didn't understand why.