Untitled Part 8

"Elliot, I-I don't want to see you right now. Go away," she choked through tears. She could hear him let out a sigh.

"Olivia, I'm so sorry," he whispered. "Look, I'm sliding my phone number under the door... my address too. Call... Come by... Anything, just don't-don't shut me down without hearing me out."

Olivia looked down and saw the white piece of paper with Elliot's chicken scratch handwriting.

"Tell me you'll call."

Olivia paused for a moment. She didn't want to, but she also wouldn't allow herself to stay away for much longer. "I'll call."

Elliot felt a weight lift off his shoulders. She would call. Didn't matter when, didn't matter where. Just as long as she did.

She heard him walk away and then the ding of the elevator. Just as she picked up the piece of paper, the smoke alarm went off. The food, she thought. She ran over to the stove and saw that the noodles were cooked to a mush and the sauce in the pan was on fire. Olivia cursed loudly as she picked up the hot pan and threw it in the sink. She turned off the boiling noodles and buried her face in her hands. She was doing just fine without him, and as soon as she learned how to cope, he showed up.

"I tried to tell you it was burning," she heard Rae state matter of factly.

Olivia turned around and Rae saw her tear stained cheeks. She was never one to cry, especially not in front of anyone, but extenuating circumstances wouldn't allow her to keep up her facade. Rae walked over and hugged her aunt tightly. Olivia rested her chin on the girl's head, willing herself not to cry anymore. Not right then anyway.

"Who was that man?" she asked.

"My old partner. He left sometime ago and this is my first time seeing him since."

"You love him," Rae said as more of a statement than a question.

Olivia hesitated for a second and then nodded. "I did."

"You do."

Olivia pulled away and forced a smile. She appreciated the young girl in front of her. Rae often told her how she had saved her, but in actuality it was Rae who had saved Olivia.

The eldest brunette cupped the teen's face and kissed her forehead. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For everything, Rae. You've been here for me. You've helped me in ways you don't understand, in ways you can't even comprehend and I'm so grateful that you're my niece. You're special to me. You're a really great kid and I love you."

Rae chuckled a little and gave Olivia a small push to lighten the mood. "You aren't so bad yourself."

"I have to go next door for a sec and grab something from Ms. Jackson. Wanna order takeout for us?"

"What do I order?"

"Uh, whatever you want, sweetie. I'm not picky."

*

Olivia knocked twice and Ms. Jackson answered with a worried look on her face. She could tell something was wrong with Olivia by the red, puffy eyes, the sadness that they held, the way she stood there completely speechless. Ms. Jackson extended her arms and Olivia fell into them without hesitation, sobbing uncontrollably. Olivia was careful not to put all her weight on her, as she was a small lady. Ms. Jackson had been like a mother to her ever since they were neighbors, never missing a beat of Olivia's life, whether she was wanted or not.