1. A Glimpse

Can a person fall in love with a smile? Is that even possible? I don't know the answer. All I know is that I saw that smile and everything in me stopped for it. Those twin indents on either side of rosy lips took my breath away. From where I was standing in the library, I couldn't see anything else because that person was standing in the next aisle over. Only that beautiful smile was visible between the books when I was searching the titles on the shelf. It stunned me and, by the time I rushed down and around the aisle, the owner of the smile was already gone. I spent the next hour searching the whole library, completely forgetting the research I had be working on, but to no avail. The smile was gone and my heart hurt at the loss.

That was last Monday. It's been five days and that smile is still with me, haunting my mind. Everyday, I looked at each person I came across hoping to find it again. Five days of fruitless searching; five days of making my friends and classmates wonder at my sanity; five days of many girls and a few boys mistaking my looks as interest. Six days ago I would have welcomed the flirtations and scored myself a few dates, but this isn't six days ago.

"Hello, p'Ming," a sweetly feminine voice calls from beside me and a slim hand with pale pink nails settles on my shoulder. "My name is Angel."

Looking up from my seat at the table, I barely glance at the girl who is smiling down at me. She's one of the new freshies in our faculty. I vaguely remember her from the hazer introduction meeting last week.

"Hello, n'Angel. Did you need something?" Focusing back on my food, I push around the rice, not really in the mood to eat or talk.

"Uh... um... I was just... I thought you... " She stumbles over her words when I don't immediately jump up and give her my full attention, making me more irritated with her presence. Taking a deep calming breath, I try to be patient. I remind myself that she is a freshman in my faculty. Next year I will be head hazer and I need to be able to keep my cool in all situations, no matter my personal feelings at the time.

"Yes, nong?" I ask flatly, looking up at her again. While I can't show my annoyance with her, it doesn't mean I have to be overly encouraging either.

"Some of us are going out to the Lion's Den tonight and I was wondering if you would like to join me... I mean, us. Join us," she says in a nervous rush, removing her hand from my shoulder. The blatant confidence she approached me with is gone and she takes a step back as if waiting for me to explode. I guess I have to work harder on my mask of indifference.

"No, thank you." Turning back to the table, I stand and gather up my stuff. After throwing away my trash, I don't look at the girl still standing there and only nod to my friends. "It's time for class. We should head back."

I walk away, not caring if they are following me or not. I'm done here and tired of not seeing the one person I want to see, the owner of the smile.

"Ai'Ming! Wait up, asshole!" Dom yells at me as he races to catch up. Matching steps beside me, he looks at me with worry. "You do realize that you just rejected n'Angel, right? N'Angel is the hottest freshie girl in the batch with curves that can knock you out, legs for days, and pouty lips just made for kissing... and other things. She's the Angel of Engineering!"

"And?" Not the least bit interested in this topic, I keep walking past my friend who stops in shock.

"And?! And?! What the hell is wrong with you, ai'Ming? Are you sick? Do you have a fever?" He drags me to a stop and presses a hand to my forehead and then touches his own. "You don't feel warm. Did you knock your head? Or somebody slipped you something? How many fingers am I holding up?!"

"Fuck off." I push away the hand he's waving in front of my face with two fingers up and shrug my shoulders. "There's nothing wrong with me. I just wasn't interested in playing with her."

"Not interested? Since when? Who are you and what have you done with my friend?"

"Shut up," I growl and walk around him.

"Seriously, dude. You can tell me. This isn't like you. Last week you were your usual cheerful asshole self and would have tapped anything sexy that came your way. This week you're walking around like a fucking zombie, scowling at even the dogs and trees. What happened?"

"Nothing. Nothing happened. Let it go. We're gonna be late for class."

"Fine but you will tell me later and we are going out tonight, whether you like it or not. You need to loosen up."

"Fine," I grind out in resignation. Maybe he's right. Maybe I do need to go out and forget for a while.

---------------------------------

-a/n-
Yes, it is time for the annoying author's note! Aren't you excited? Blessed even?
Crazy as it sounds, I actually have this one finished. As in, completely written all the way to the end. Shocking from me, I know! This means that there will be no waiting around for days or weeks or months for the update. (Feel free to do an impromptu happy dance. I will wait......) 
There are 5 parts and I will be posting one each day for the next 5 days. 
I feed on Stars and Comments so leave me a treat to feast on. :)
Happy Reading, Happy Writing!