Can I Stay (Steve x reader AU)

Characters: reader, Steve.

Summary: After a night of drinking, you stumble into your apartment in the arms of the hottest man you've ever seen. This stranger is full of surprises, you come to learn as the night progresses. (Steve AU)

Warnings: drinking, mentions of sex, a ton of fluff, the tiniest bit of angst if you squint.

Word Count: 2.2k

Song Inspiration: Can I Stay by Ray LaMontagne

A/N: I was having a rough time at work last week, so I decided to binge-listen to Ray LaMontagne, who has the most soothing and gorgeous voice. "Can I Stay" started to play and I had this vivid image of Soft Steve, so I put it on repeat and this story developed. I really hope you love it. Any and all feedback is appreciated, as always. I adore you guys. <3

_________________________________

The moment your turn of the key unlocked the door, strong arms were around you again, pressing your back against the inside wall as you struggled to remove the key and kiss him passionately at the same time. Door finally closed, every possible inch of you was pressed up against his chiseled form of male perfection. You walked in tandem, lips caressing and tongues exploring messily as you pushed the jacket from his broad shoulders. At the same time, he reached around your back to lower the zipper of your dress.

Your shared movement was unsteady, however, feeling your hip bump into the side table before your elbow caught a flower vase, nearly toppling it. Your male companion also grunted in pain as his thigh struck the dining room table. Equal parts lust and alcohol swirled in your veins, making you dizzy. Your skin, previously dewy from the hot New York City summer evening, now felt feverish with desire.

Making your way down the hall, you reached the bedroom and kicked off your heels as large hands reached your backside. Misjudging the distance to the bed, you pulled him down as you fell, causing your waist to strike the edge of the mattress before you both slid down to the floor in a pile of twisted limbs. Having broken apart from your frantic making out, you took a breath and tried to right yourself.

A deep chuckle rumbled from the man beside you. Steve? Yes. Steve released his arms from around you and pushed himself up to sitting with his back against the mattress.

"Well, this isn't going as smoothly as I'd hoped," he said wryly.

Laughing, you shook your head in agreement. The multiple drinks you'd ingested tonight still buzzed in your veins and Steve had a few more than you. Not exactly a recipe for clear-headed decisions. Currently, your dress was tugged down around your hips with one bra strap slipping down your shoulder. Steve's hair was mussed and his belt was unbuckled (by your hands moments ago) with his shirt pulled up to display a delicious, washboard stomach. Your fingers itched to trace the chiseled lines.

"Y/N, I..." he began, then turning to face you. "I really like you. I do. Enough that I think I'd rather remember our time together more than hazy memories. Besides, as much as my mind wants you, I'm not sure the rest of me will cooperate at this point," he admitted with a tinge of color in his cheeks.

Brow furrowed, you sat a moment in confusion before you caught his meaning. "Oh. Well, we don't have to...you know. I like you, too, but I think I'm getting close to the puke-y part of my usual drinking nights anyway," you slurred slightly, even a little relieved. "It's okay."

Steve threaded his fingers with yours. "Rain check?"

You scoffed. "For a drunken one night stand? Sure," you smirked.

"No! I—I mean, for...whatever. Drinks, dinner, anything really. I'd like to see you again. Maybe when I'm seeing only one of you..." he teased, closing one eye and then the other, alternating.