Chapter 14

"Children" - MoniqueViv on Wattpad

It's been a couple of years since they settled down in Branageda, and the clans are flourishing in ways Lexa and Clarke had hoped. No threats of war have come, which is more than either of them expected. Their positions of Heda and the Heda's wife and most trusted advisor mean that they occasionally have had to travel to different clans to help in whatever way they can. They have tried to make a habit of traveling with their friends when they were available, usually traveling with Lincoln, Luna, Anya, Raven, and Octavia.

Recently, Clarke has been noticing a slight change in behavior with Lexa. Nothing bad, of course. And it's something she's been expecting. Well, Clarke had assumed that she would be the one to bring it up and want it first, but it seems like Lexa beat her to it. Though Lexa hasn't brought it up yet, Clarke knows her well enough to see that it's been a prominent thing on her mind.

It happens pretty much every time they're around kids, especially when they're training with Octavia and the Natblidas. Lexa will be watching a kid, or be talking to one, and she gets a look in her eye that Clarke can only describe as wistful. Clarke has been meaning to bring it up for a few days now, but she hasn't gotten the chance with their busy schedule. But today, she's going to make time.

They're both in their kitchen, soft music filtering in through the old device that Raven had fixed up for their anniversary a year ago. Lexa absentmindedly hums along as she cuts up some vegetables while Clarke works on cooking the meat.

When it's at a point where Clarke doesn't need to watch it, she looks over to where Lexa is nodding her head along to the beat of the song. A soft smile spreads across Clarke's face and she comes up behind her wife, wrapping her arms around her waist. They sway to the music and Lexa's cutting pace slows until it stops and she leans back against Clarke. She turns her head to the side and they angle themselves to be able to press a quick kiss to each other's lips.

"Ai hod yu in," Clarke murmurs as Lexa turns back to cutting vegetables.

"I love you too. But you should check on the meat, niron (loved one)."

Lexa chuckles at the quiet cursing in her ear as her wife retreats from her and focuses on not burning their dinner. Once they finish cooking, Clarke turns off the music and they sit down at their table, beginning to eat. It's relatively quiet, with only some bursts of conversation, as Clarke wants to wait until they're not eating to talk to Lexa.

After dinner, they clean the dishes and put them away before cuddling together on their couch. Clarke curls up against Lexa and rests her head against her shoulder.

"You have been wanting to say something all night," Lexa murmurs after a short pause.

Clarke blinks in surprise before a smile spreads across her face. "You know me so well. Yeah, I've been wanting to talk about you."

Lexa turns slightly to look at her wife. "Me?"

"Mm hmm. You've been looking at kids differently recently." Clarke says and Lexa's eyebrows scrunch as she looks away, not quite meeting Clarke's gaze. "It isn't anything bad, niron (loved one). I expected it to come up at some point. To be honest, I thought it would be me who would want kids of our own first. We've talked briefly about it over the years, I know. But I think we're getting to the point where we need to have a more in-depth conversation."

Lexa nods and looks Clarke in the eyes again. "Alright. What do you want to discuss?"

"First we need to decide if we're ready for this now, or when we think we'll be ready. I'm good whenever you are."

Lexa opens her mouth like she's going to say something and then closes it, her brows furrowed as she thinks. "I would like to begin looking into possibilities. When does not matter much to me, but I would love to have children with you at some point. We will know when it is time."

"Alright. Alright." Clarke nods and thinks for a moment before continuing. "So possibilities. How we're going to have a kid is something we need to talk about. I talked to my mom, and it sounds like they haven't figured out how to make kids from people like us. Not yet. She has people that are working on it, building on what the people on the Old Earth knew, but it doesn't sound like they're close enough for what we want. So really, there are two main options. The first is we find a donor and one of us gets pregnant. The second is that we adopt."

Lexa nods. "If one of us were to get pregnant, I would prefer it to not be me. I fear it would compromise me as Heda and put me out commission for longer than I would like. Not to mention it sounds unpleasant and uncomfortable." She wrinkles her nose at the thought.

Clarke laughs softly. "It does. I'm not opposed to pregnancy, but I would like to look into adoption as well. If we're feeling adventurous, we could attempt both. Adopt first, then have a kid later. And if we're thinking about adoption, we should talk to Raven and Octavia, they've been looking into it recently. They may know more than we do."

"We can talk to them tomorrow. We have our weekly dinner with them." Lexa says.

"Right! Yeah, that works. We can think more about what we want to do and then go talk to them. And we have to keep in mind, this isn't like our pets. Being parents is a huge, life-long responsibility. And I think we're up to it."

"We are." Lexa confirms, leaning in to capture her wife's lips. 

What's this? A chapter that's on time?? Hopefully that should be happening more often, as I'll be on a week-long vacation (as in not having work suck up my life) soon! Do you guys have a preference? Adoption, artificial insemination, or both? Thank you all for reading and for your wonderful comments! Stay awesome!