Chapter 1:

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters

New York

1983

Nina awoke with a start, an uneasy, unsettling - she would even go as far as to say disturbing - feeling settling deep within her in the pit of her stomach.

Dreams again.

Those  dreams again.

Although were they really dreams? she wondered once again. She had had dreams before, but she was also no stranger to visions, and if she were being honest, which she was, these had seemed more vision-like.

However, this time had been a bit different, more dream-like and vision-like blended together - if that made sense. Somehow, to her, it did. 

Following her restless sleep - another one - she wished she could say that she wasn't distracted while teaching her morning classes, but that wasn't all true, not entirely. Was it ironic that she taught history here at the school for mutant children, mutant history, when she had been so heavily a part of it herself? And not only with the starting of the X-Men.

Of course, back then, way  back then, they hadn't known of the existence of mutants. Then, they had been seen as god-like, which, as she knew all too well, had quickly become very dangerous, and for everyone involved. 

She breathed a sigh when it reached the time for her to go meet Charles at their special spot, their favorite spot on the lawn where they had shared their first kiss twenty years ago. 

He was already there awaiting her arrival when she came over. "You beat me this time," she said, striding over to join him.

"Ah, hello my dear."

"My Love." She leaned down to press a kiss to his lips and to brush her nose against his in one of her favourite forms of affection before taking a seat on the grass next to him. "Ah," she breathed contentedly, stretching out and feeling the sun warm her. 

"Alex rang - he will be bringing his brother round later."

"Ah, lovely. I haven't seen Alex in a very long time."

"Me neither. Scott is mutant too, his powers just made themselves known according to Alex."

"Poor boy - he must be so afraid."

"Indeed, by the sounds of it he is. I remember that all too well.  But that is why we are here to help him."

"Exactly."  And speaking of being afraid, and of one's powers... "I had another dream last night," she finally admitted. 

Now he looked both concerned and curious. "I could sense that something was off, even without my powers.  What happened this time?"

"That's just it, I don't really know. It was so vivid at the time, but when I woke up, I couldn't remember, only vague shadows. But I had this feeling deep within me left over from it. I keep having these strange dreams, but I'm beginning to wonder if I can even call it a dream really, because they're more like flashes of visions..."

"Hmm...  I wish I could give you an answer."

 "It's okay. Some things we just cannot explain..." That was basically her whole life summed up right there, her whole existence.  "None of them really make sense and it's hard to explain..."

"Do your best. Take your time, there's no rush," he urged gently. Charles, always so gentle and helpful. 

 "Well, where to begin? They happen so quickly and sometimes so fast it's almost like they didn't happen at all, the only thing telling me they happened is the way they make me feel uneasy, like something foreboding, like something looming ahead in the distance just waiting for it's perfect time to strike. I know, it's oddly specific but strangely vague at the same time. It's this lingering feeling that something is about to happen, and I'm not all that certain it's good.  All I know is that they, the dreams themselves, are not good whatever they are, whatever they mean, which leads me to believe whatever they're trying to tell me is not good either, if that makes sense."

"Yes, it does." Only certain people would understand, and luckily, Charles was one of them. 

"But then, on the other side of things, there's almost a certain level of comfort that comes with them, reassurance is maybe a better word. But that contrasts so greatly it doesn't really make any sense. Like something horrible is about to happen, is coming, but also something familiar... I don't understand..." 

Charles sat still and silent, absorbing her words, pondering them. He didn't understand either. 

"You've been having dreams too?" They turned to see one of the newer students, Jean, standing there. "Nightmares? I don't mean to pry, but I couldn't help but overhear. You said you've been having strange and disturbing visions, dreams?"

"Yes," Nina confirmed.

Jean was an extremely powerful telepath, with powers in strength that could rival even Charles's, the worlds known strongest and most powerful telepath.  

"Jean," warned Charles.

"Please, Professor.   If I'm not the only one who's been having them, experiencing this, then  they must mean something."

Yes, it did mean something, they all knew it.  But what?

-----------------------------------------

"Nina, phone's for you," Hank called from the hallway telephone.

"Thank you, Hank." She took the receiver from him and held it up to her own ear.  "Hello, Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, this is Nina Nova speaking."

"Nina, it's me."

It was a voice she hadn't heard in months  that responded. "Raven?" The shapeshifter must have changed her voice when speaking to Hank, otherwise he would have known it was her right away. 

"I need you - I've located someone else who needs our help, and  I need your help. It's not a great situation: underground fight club that uses mutants as fighters. It's a pretty ugly situation."

That did sound ugly.  "Oh, those poor people." 

"Yes. Are you able to get away without arising too much suspicion?"

"I think so - where should I meet you?"

"West Germany. See you there."

"Okay, see you - auf Wiedersehen, meine freundin."

(Nina's just casually hanging out with Jean and Scott, her future in-laws, haha! 

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter! :))