Chapter 7:

"I think someone's taken over Cerebro."

"What?" the others cried. 

"They've taken control of it."

"Who has?"

"I-I don't know. Clearly someone very powerful." 

"To do what?" Raven demanded.

"To connect."

"To what?" asked Moira. 

"To everyone - to everything..."

Yes, this could only mean one thing: using the most powerful telepath to connect to the whole world and everyone in it.

Charles was still unresponsive, locked in a trace. Hank pounded his fist into the control board, trying desperately to break the connection, sever it, but this only made Charles scream in pain - he was still connected. "Nina, try connecting, see what you can find-"

"Wait, do you hear that?"

A low voice, growing steadily stronger: "Always the same. And now all this. No more stones, no more spears, no more slings. No more swords. No more weapons. No more systems. No more! No more superpowers..."

"Hank, do something!" cried Raven. 

Hank began madly dismantling the machine, making Charles scream in pain again.  "It's not working! It won't shut down!"

"Hank stop, it's hurting him!"

"So much faith in their tools, and their machines..."

"Alex!" Charles finally spoke, shaking violently.  "Destroy it! Destroy everything! Destroy Cerebro - wreak havoc!"

"You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, But you can NEVER STRIKE GOD!"

Alex did as he was told and started blasting the screen walls around them until it was nothing but smoking wires. Then they dragged the limp Charles out into the hall. 

"Charles-"

"Out! Everyone out!"

"Charles? Charles are you okay?"

"Charles Love?" Nina knelt down before him.

"W-was so strange..." he stuttered.  "S-so powerful..."

"What the hell was that?" cried Raven. 

"I know," Nina finally admitted.

"What?"

"I-I know." She looked to the CIA agent.  "You're right Moira," she told her. "En Sabbah Nur, the world's first mutant, born thousands of years ago."

"How do you know all this?" asked Moira. "Have you studied it too?"

"Not exactly..." There was a long pause before she continued. "Because I knew him then."

Now they were all staring at her, utterly shocked.

"You lived all that time?" cried Hank, the first to break the shocked silence amongst them.

"Sort of - not really. Yes and no. I don't remember it. One moment I was there in ancient times, and the next I was through a portal and in the 1960s meeting you. It doesn't make a lot of sense - no sense at all, really, but it happened."

"Nina - what's going on?" Charles asked. 

"I don't know. At least not fully. And even if I did, I fear you wouldn't believe me if I told you."