Chapter 2

As soon my cousin pulled off at the driveway of the place I once recognized as home, I immediately rushed to the front lawn, intentionally leaving all the things in the car. I looked up to the house I grew up in, the house where I learned how to walk and speak, the place where all my childhood memories remained alive and vibrant. I smiled, the most genuine I ever pulled off ever since I got here. I took in a deep breath and sprint towards the swing on the left side of the lawn. I sat there for what felt like forever, envisioning myself when I was still young, crawling across the lawn, plucking flowers and being so problem free. Not a bit changed about this place, every memory still vibrant.

My cousin walked towards me and said, "Not a bit changed, eh?"

I nodded. "Yeah. It's just as I remember."

"Yeah, grandmother said that we better not change even a single pot or flower, so that when you come back, everything will still be the same, so that you will remember every single thing about your childhood, so it doesn't feel like a lot of years has gone by, like you still grew up here."

"That's very thoughtful of grandma." I said, smiling.

"Yes and speaking of grandma, she's waiting for you inside. Come on!"

Even before I was able to stand up, she pushed me off the swing, making me fall on my knees.

"What was that for?!" I shouted.

"You really think you'd be able to escape the responsibility of bringing your luggage inside?" she snickered and tossed me the car keys.

"Aren't you going to help?" I asked.

"Sure I'll help, see this?" she said as she lifted two shoulder bags.

"That's it?" I hissed.

"Yes and go get your things already, I won't wait here forever." She casually shrugged and sat on the swing.

I muttered a few unpleasant things under my breath as I struggled to carry two 40kg luggage out of the car's compartment. I might have dented the car but her fault for not helping me. 

As soon as we entered the house, the first thing we saw was our grandmother's happy face that was filled with longing. She tackled me into her arms and said, "Soo Jung-ah, grandma missed you so much. You've grown to be such a beautiful young woman." 

"Thank you, grandma. I missed you so much too." 

She let go of me and said, "Come, let's eat. I prepared the food especially for you. You missed grandmother's cooking didn't you?" She took my hand and led me to the kitchen.

I stopped for a moment and said, "Uh, grandma, if you don't mind, please don't call me Soo Jung anymore." 

"Why? I think SooJung is a beautiful name!" She exclaimed.

"It is grandma, it's just, I'm not her anymore, please call me Krystal." I smiled at her, pleading.

She narrowed her eyes at me but eventually agreed. "If you say so, Krystal-ah."

The sky was eventually getting darker, the sun bidding it's farewell as we ate our dinner. Constantly chatting and asking the usual questions people ask when you've been away: how was it there? did you do well on your school? what was life there like? Do you have a boyfriend? and so on and so forth.

After dinner, I found myself back in my room when I was 10 years old but it renovated to my convenience. When I left this room, it was filled with teddy bears, toys and Barbie dolls but now it seem to fit my age.

There were various photographs of me painted on canvas boards hanging on the wall above the bed. I looked around fascinated and spotted the door that leads to my own room's terrace.