"The Brightest Witch of her Age"

Hermione-

It seemed like the boys had forgotten, but I hadn't. Everyday I went over the prophecies, trying to figure out the missing words, thinking about how it all connected to Percy. Why it all connected to Percy. I had already ruled out him being a part of them all, the idea seeming irrational and not lining up. Prophecies were nasty things that always left a negative affect, I didn't think someone as carefree as Percy could have been in a prophecy, much less nine. Then again, maybe being carefree was just a front.

From what I had gathered, which wasn't much, Percy was more complicated than most people realized. He joked and pranked occasionally, generally social and very talkative, but I could see his mind always working. There was more thought behind every word than appeared, more thought behind every action. I didn't know what he was thinking, what his motives were, but I couldn't trust him. No matter how much my instincts were telling me to do the opposite, my brain was curious and doubtful, and that was what I would follow.

We were currently in Herbology, the first class of the day, and I was listening intently to Professor Sprout. She was talking about Mandrakes, only going over them. Since N.E.W.T.S. Were next year, Professor Sprout thought it would be good to start going over some old material now, that way it would be fresher in our brains. It was a brilliant idea that I'm sure other professors would be enforcing soon. While this wasn't my favorite lesson, I wanted to see how Percy would react. Would he recognize them? After all, he recognized the word half-bloods.

"Now, I'm sure all of you remember Mandrakes, they are not easy to forget." Murmurs of agreement sounded out, I, myself, nodding. "But they are a plant and you must treat them with care, so, we will start as if I had never taught you this lesson before!" She went on to discuss what would happen once you removed them, explaining the necessity of the earmuffs. I listened eagerly despite me already knowing this, it was possible there was something I missed. When it was time to begin, we slipped our earmuffs on and started removing the Mandrakes from their pots.

Even with the earmuffs, I could still hear the cries, probably because it was in such large quantity. It wasn't enough to hurt my eardrums, but it was enough to irritate me. I glanced to see how Harry and Ron were doing, remembering they hadn't done too well last time. This time though, they were managing much better and I smiled, proud. Then I turned to Percy, knowing it was his first time. I balked at the sight. His Mandrake was staring curiously at him, only occasionally opening its mouth to cry. For the most part though, it remained quiet.

Professor Sprout was walking around, helping others when they needed it. When she came to Percy's table, a look of surprise and happiness crossed her features. She started saying something to him, I couldn't hear her due to the muffs and Percy didn't even realize she was speaking. She tapped him on the shoulder and he turned, reaching a hand up to the muffs. Before he could yank them down, the Professor shot her hand up to stop him. He flinched and I squinted, curious. Seeming to understand though, he brought his hand down.

Later after class, I saw Professor Sprout talking to Percy in the hallway, and, curious, I waited for him. When they finally finished, upon spotting me, he walked over.

"Hey. You didn't have to wait for me." I nodded but shrugged, and decided that honesty was the best policy.

"Well, I wanted to and was also kinda curious about what Professor Sprout wanted." He blinked.

"Um, she just wanted to know how I was so good with plants- more specifically the mandrake." It was what I figured, but I also wanted to know.

"Well, how are you?" He laughed and shrugged once more.

"I don't know, it's kinda just like an earthy baby. It screams and cries because it's upset so... try and make it happy." It wasn't the most sound logic, but it had some sense to it so I didn't question it. We walked in silence until our next class, History of Magic.

The day flew by in a near haze, splitting my time in classes between taking notes and listening to the teacher, and analyzing Percy and everything he did. He seemed like a normal character, and under normal circumstances I would have paid him no mind. But these were not normal circumstances. It seemed as if everyone had forgotten that he had just crashed through the ceiling and knew nothing of magic just a few months ago. I tried gathering facts, data, anything, but I knew nothing more than what I already did, and that was information he had volunteered himself. He was inconspicuous and frustratingly—normal.

The only thing I had to go on where these strange books he kept on reading. They were written in a different language and I could never find them when he wasn't reading them. It wasn't honorable of me to snoop through his things, but it was so hard to learn anything about him that he didn't tell us himself. I would say he liked to read, but he only read those books and he was only in the library when reading those books, studying, or doing homework. He had weird tendencies, no doubt, but nothing I could anchor to anything. Sometimes I found him staring at the fire as if contemplating a complexity of life, other times I found him wandering the halls aimlessly.

Though so far all I had were mysterious, unsolvable prophecies, a vague tattoo, and a weird encounter with his cousin, I wouldn't stop. Something was going on with Percy Jackson and needed to know what. What secrets is he hiding? Why was he here? What are those books? I needed answers or I was going to combust.

§§§

Guys this chapter is so late and I'm so sorry, but I just haven't had any ideas. I want to give you guys proper chapters rather than half-effort chapters. This may seem like a filler, but there's a clue hidden in here.

Next chapter written in a different kind of perspective, but it'll work for the content and I am so excited for it. I'll give you a hint on what it's on: E.E.

E.E. Is also part of the clue in this chapter.

Vote if you liked, don't if you didn't

Comment, it's encouraging and I love reading your comments

Bye!