Tinkle

He is never late. His firm devotion to punctuality is what he both love and hate about him. But today, with him being ready earlier, Mark is certain something's wrong.

"Come on we're going to be late." He tells his boyfriend, banging the door of his room loudly with his knuckles.

No response.

"Ced!" He yelled. "Come on! We're going to miss the first act!" He has been looking forward to seeing Peter Pan on Broadway since he was a kid. And now that the play reaches their small town's old theater, he wouldn't miss it for the world. If he misses this, he'll be lost like those lost boys in the play.

Peter Pan is his first crush. By the age of 10, he's already gay for Peter. Too bad he can't date a fictional character.

He bangs the wooden door once more. "Ced! You're being a real pill right now!"

Still, no response.

He decides to bang the door louder that the whole house trembles. "Ced!" Bang. "Ced!" Bang. "Ced!" Bang. Each word louder than the last. Each whack on the door more resilient and desperate than the last. His panic starts to rise and before he knows it he kicks the door with his right foot.

He scans the bedroom. No Ced. He rushes to the bathroom with remarkable speed.

The door flings open to reveal an obscure scene. One he never expects.

"Ced?" He asks around short gasps.

"No!" Ced screams at him, totally stunned.

He has never felt more relieved in his life. A lot could happen inside one's own bathroom. Ugly, inconceivable things could happen.

But seeing his boyfriend in front of the mirror, wearing green tights and putting makeup, isn't one of those things. He puffed a rowdy sigh of relief.

So this is why he's late. He isn't supposed to see this surprise. Not yet at least.

"What are you doing?" Mark asks.

Ced puts down the hair clip he's trying to tuck his blonde bangs with. "I wanted to wear this Peter Pan costume for you because I know how much you love that damn book."

"And movies. And fan fictions." Mark added.

"Shut up!" Ced throws the green hat with a red feather towards his way, Mark dodges and catches it easily. "Now the surprise is ruined because you're such a hothead." He pouted. Mark adores that childish pout of his.

"I thought you hate Peter Pan." He approaches and locks his boyfriend in a tight embrace from the back.

Ced rolls his eyes. "I do." He continues tucking his hair. "And that Tinkle Bell is such a bitch."

Mark laughs. "It's Tinker Bell, not Tinkle Bell!"

"I don't care!"

"But it seems to me that you do care." Mark puts the green cap on top of Ced's head. "There." He studies his boyfriend's reflection. The costume fits him so well that he looks like Peter himself!

"I don't care about that play. But I do care about you." Ced kisses him hastily. Just a quick peck on the lips and he's out of the door.

Only Ced could wear a costume in an opening night. Only Ced could pull this outrageous behavior. Only Ced could be free-spirited and mischievous and kind and sweet at the same time.

"Come on! We're going to be late!" He hears him shout downstairs. Mark smiles.

He likes to be punctual. As if being late ages him.

I guess I did end up with Peter Pan after all.