ignominious

the nurse wanted to remind the young girl that she is loved.

it's a misfortune it wasn't true.

ignominious (adjective)
/ˌɪɡnəˈmɪnɪəs/
deserving or causing public disgrace or shame.

~~~~~

jada hugged the small teddy bear tightly in her arms. it had a pink and yellow flowercrown and wore a pink and yellow striped shirt with the words 'love yourself like i love you' italicised on it.

the child ignored the sound of her energetic friends running around in the kids ward, and looked up at the nurse who handed her the bear.

"what's this?" she cocked her head to the side, curious, and asked the nurse sweetly.

"your parents sent it." immediately, jada looked at the vast arrangement of bears and toys on her bedside drawer and a dimpled smile decorated her cheeks.

"another?" the nurse could see the happy little glint in jada's bright eyes, and chuckled at her youthful antics.

"yes. they also said they're sorry again for not being able to visit you while you're here. but they sent the bear as a reminder that they will always be there for you." the nurse carefully took jada's tiny hands between her own and gently squeezed them, her eyes showing a motherly affection.

jada grinned again, clearly delighted by how much her parents had been spoiling her recently. sure, they hadn't visited. but jada knew they were sincerely sorry for that and missed her deeply. the gifts were proof enough.

"tell them it's okay. i know they're busy. and I love the gifts!" jada crushed the poor bear farther into her chest and hugged it even tighter, rocking side to side with a precious smile on her face and a twinkle in her eyes.

the nurse smiled remorsefully, but jada didn't seem to notice the change in her expression.

"alright! it's time to sleep now, young lady." the nurse poked jada's nose playfully, to which jada giggled. she lifted the blanket over jada, and tucked her in softly, while jada got comfortable and cuddled close to her new bear.

"goodnight," jada tiredly mumbled, her eyes already drifting shut even with the older children still playing.

"goodnight jada. sleep well." the nurse brushed a few strands of hair out of jada's face, pushing the locks behind her ear, and quietly made her way out, turning off the light behind her.

the following morning, the nurse burst into jada's room with a cheerful smile.

"jada! wake up. you're being sent back home. chop chop. there's no time for sleeping, we must pack."

jada grumbled unintelligible words and rolled onto her back. she rubbed at her tired eyes, and the nurse smiled at how cute she was with the teddy bear still clutched in one arm and her hair a nest atop her head.

she would definitely miss her.

"jada did you listen? i said that you can finally go home and see your parents again!" the nurse repeated. and jada, having now actually paid attention to the nurse's words, widened her eyes in surprise and squealed with joy.

"really!? i get to see them again!?" she scrambled to stand on her bed and started jumping on it with excitement.

the nurse hurriedly hushed her and pulled her back down to ground, fixing her hair and pushing her into the bathroom to get ready while the nurse packed.

several minutes later, with jada in her own clothes and the assortment of toys packed in a suitcase, jada held onto the nurse's hand and skipped to the main reception, tugging the nurse along behind her.