incommodious

a slow attack of the sea appears to be a friendly greeting from the outside.

it's a shame that no one survives.

incommodious (adjective)
/ˌɪnkəˈməʊdɪəs/
causing inconvenience or discomfort.

~~~~~

the clean, bright water washed on the shore, engulfing several stones before dragging them back, their screams silenced by the crashing of the waves.

the bright sunlight beamed on the sea, enhancing the contrasting shades in the ocean of purity. the only sound heard was the waves' aggressive attack on the shore. to an outsider, this attack could easily be mistaken as a peaceful confrontation of the waves to the shore.
but to an insider, the threat behind the approach was all too familiar.

the salty waters retreated from their opponent, waiting for the right moment to return a blow on the shore once again; to take them and their defenced captive in the confinements of the tide.

in the distance, far from hearing range of the hushed, secluded beach, was the sound of a negligible wail, so minute that the waves had absorbed the cry before it could be heard.

a frail figure floated only a few feet from the shore. it was a mere boy; a trifling child. his pained cries could've been heard if anyone was present. but as luck would have it, no one was.

his arms were flailing in desperation, and shrieks were deafening. yet, no one came to save him.

he felt his legs, kicking vigorously in the water, gradually slowing to a stop. his muscles were tense; the pain was unbearable. he couldn't keep himself floating for much longer, he couldn't propel himself away from the heavy weight dragging him out to sea. his energy had all been wasted. he knew it was over. no body could save him now.

so, he stopped.

his arms stopped swinging. his raw throat stopped crying. his legs stopped kicking.

yet the agony continued.

he saw the shore ahead of him eventually getting farther and farther away, until all that remained was a single strip of land which could easily be mistaken for a sunken ship.

for a while, he stayed there, drifting with the sea, bobbing up and down with the occasional wave that had the intent to pull him even farther out.

a warm drop slid down his cheek, the tickle of it's journey going unnoticed until more came flowing down his cheeks in unison. whether it was the salty, spitting sea water or something else entirely, he wasn't sure. he didn't care. so he paid no mind to the tangy taste of metal seeping in through his lips.

he stayed there, still watching in the direction where the shore was steadily disappearing before him, still wishing he had one ounce of hope; once chance of salvation. he wished that this torment wasn't all for nothing.

he waited, lamenting, for something to rid him of the silent anguish.

he strayed farther out into nothingness.

the sound of crashing waves behind him grew louder and louder. it was deafening, but didn't take his attention away from what once was the shore; he didn't look away from the unreachable foundation of his safety.

he looked up in resignation. the blindingly bright sun beckoned to him. and he welcomed the distraction from his sight of the shore.

he felt himself being dragged away. he succumbed to the waves which encased him in their unrelenting hold; he succumbed to the waves which wrapped a tight grip around his shoulder and dug their sharp nails into his marked skin to remind him of his capitulation. the waves thrive on his acquiesce submission. his weakness fueled their conspicuous dominion.

and as the waves tugged him away from a place he'd soon forget, the last thing he saw was the sun's intense glare, before he too was taken captive

into the confinement of the sea.