Do Not Use the Elevator in Case of Fire

Naru didn't take that as an answer. He kept Yasu reading through my mother's journals and got out his laptop. He put Ayako to work on warding magic as well, and he had Lin call up his father. It was the first time I had ever seen Naru lower his pride enough to ask his father for help.

Unfortunately, it became apparent once Lin pulled out his phone that there would be no calling anyone. The laptop didn't seem to want to work right either.

"There's too much spiritual interference," said Lin.

"Do you think maybe we should leave?" asked Ayako. "Maybe we could find sacred ground-somewhere with trees."

"We may have to," said Naru grimly. "But first, is there any way toward the spiritual magic so that..."

I was having a difficult time following. Or, rather, I found it difficult to care. I was just too sleepy, too achy, too heavy, too sick. Not to mention I hit a cough attack around there. I curled up in the blanket, but the chill didn't leave. A thin layer of sweat over my skin didn't help, and I could taste salt among the phlegm of my cough.

Naru would figure this out, right? He always did.

I drifted in a strange doze where I heard everything that was going about me, but I didn't comprehend it. Occasionally a fox fire would drift across the darkness of my closed eyelids, like an afterimage after staring at something bright.

I missed Gene. What I wouldn't give to dream of him one more time.

I bobbed up to the surface of consciousness when strong arms scooped underneath me and I smelled the smoky incense scent of Lin.

"You don't look too good either," his chest rumbled.

"I'll be fine," said Naru, sounding a bit wry. "I don't need to be carried."

I moved to say I could walk too, but couldn't find the motivation to move from my weary half-sleep. Not to mention my head still pounded out death threats.

"Man, she's practically glowing," I heard Yasu say, tone worried. "This is a pretty bad fever for something that came on in just a day. Did she show any symptoms beforehand?"

"Besides having several traumatic episodes that would knock anyone out on their own?" said Ayako. "Add hypothermia in it-woa! Naru!"

"I'm fine."

"Well let me at least give you a shoulder or something."

"I'm fine, just a bit dizzy."

"Just take my damn shoulder."

I smiled to myself. Good Ayako. Take care of my idiot.

Lin started walking. I heard someone open the door and a waft of cool air brushed over me, sending a renewed vigor to my shaking.

And with it vanished the sense of safety I had been taking for granted.

Danger bells shrilled in my head and I woke with a start and a wordless wail. Lin stumbled to keep hold of me.

"It's going to eat me! Monk! Naru!"

"I'm here, Mai," Takigawa appeared at Lin's side in the hallway. "I won't let anything eat you."

Seeing his face calmed me somewhat, and I had a vague impression that I should be embarrassed.

"Mai?" croaked Naru.

"She's okay. I think she sensed us leaving the kikai barrier. We should hurry."

"Do you want to carry her?" asked Lin, and I thought I could sense a little dismay beneath Lin's urgency. Did Lin feel sorry that I didn't call out for him? That would be ridiculous.