Wow... Safe Doubting?

*****(A week later) 

     "Mother, please, let me see grandma!" Dougal cried out desperately, "Let me see her before it's too late!" 

     "No Dougal! I already told you no! Don't you understand that?" 

     "No, as a matter of fact, I don't! I didn't murder my grandmother. I would never do such a thing to anyone whose ever been good to me. Why are you holding me back from her?" Dougal's eyes bored into his mother's with a deep sadness and desperation she'd never seen before. 

     "Dougal... p-please, don't push it further." Her eyes began to get wet. 

     "M-Mother?" Dougal stammered. 

     "Dougal. Your grandmother didn't look that great. I think it's best if you stay here until she gets better." 

     "Will she get better, mother? Will she really get better?" Dougal asked uncertainly. 

     "Dougal, stop it with the stupid questions! She will get better! I know it! I know it for a fact. She is a very strong woman. She dealt with my troublesome childhood. A young man like you shouldn't have affected her this way. This is not the woman I know. She was much different years ago. She..." his mother trailed off, not knowing what else to say. She was on the verge of tears, which was a rare occurrence for her character. 

     "Mother, like you said, she will make it. I do believe in her. Really, I do. But I worry. Just like you. And my worries usually bring on unnecessary doubts. Doubts that none of us want. I'm sure grammy was tough in the old ages, but people change when they get older, Mom. I'm sure she's still tough now, but not as tough as she was back then. Even though she has become very fragile, I still believe she'll make it. We all believe she will make it. But we all have got to help her. We all should see her together. Maybe that'll toughen her up, and give her more hope than ever before. Please, mother, holding anyone back in this situation won't help one bit. Can we all please see her, please?" Dougal begged for his stressed mother to give in and see the light of this situation. Sadly, it didn't work. 

     "Dougal, when you see her, you will be crushed. This is hard for you to believe, but it'll crush me as well if I ever knew you saw her today. Yes, I know, I actually have emotions. But I conceal them for a reason..." she trailed off, her facial expression changed, showing a stern side instead of a hurt expression, then continued, "Yes, I know people change. I wasn't born yesterday, you know. 

     "Dougal, I can't tell you the specifics. It's best if you don't know the truth. After all, it will be too unpleasant for many like me and your father, especially you, to know about. Me and your father decided to go on without you for a reason, and one reason only. And that is to protect the last of the innocence you have left. Cherish it well, Dougal. Make sure it never goes away until you become an adult. Is that understood?" 

     "Mother, it is not about having a perfect life, let alone a good life. It's about living an honest and safe life. With you and father keeping my grandmother out of the blue is definitely getting rid of my innocence. If I'm not able to see her soon, I'm sure that I will go crazy. I don't care if what I'm about to face is going to be unpleasant. As long as it is the truth, I will take it and cherish it forever in my heart. 

     "Mom, please, I just want to see my grammy one last time before she dies, if she dies, please?" Dougal begged. 

     "No son, I can't let you. Can't you understand anything? I can't let you!" 

     "Please mother, oh please let me see her! Oh, I'll do anything for you to let me see her! Just please, I just want to see her face one last time! I can't live without her smile! Her support! Her love! Her dignity! And her courage! I can't let her go like this! She must be suffering in that hospital bed of hers! She must want to see me! She needs to see me! Oh please, have mercy!" Dougal losed his self composure as his mother seized him by the cuff of his neck, and dragged him up the stairs. His feet bumped each step as they finally reached the safety of his bedroom, and she flung him forcefully onto his bed, and she screamed, "Dougal! Stop this nonsense this instant! You better stop crying! Oh, you better stop crying now! Please! P-PLEASE!" she began sobbing her heart out, and he saw her scrambled away from his bedroom. 

     Dougal immediately followed after her footsteps, and kept his eyes on her the whole time in utter shock as he saw his mother trip and descend down the stairs in a flash. All he could do was watch. He couldn't do anything else. 

     Really, he couldn't. 

     He watched as his mother fell down to the bottommost step. Her screams of fright and defeat reverberated through the walls of the bottom floor apartment. The men at the cash registers could only watch as well. Their butts remained planted in their seats as they watched in a stiff shock as they saw Dougal's mother receive her most possible unpleasant death. Dougal saw her head snap at an unnatural angle, and her whole body went limp in a millisecond. 

     Dougal could only breathe once. 

*****