I AM CONFUSION. (Chpt. 3)

-Alex POV-

When I start using my influence on others, I don't really know what's going on. I'm just aware of the orders I want to give.

That being said, when two bright brown and intelligent eyes came into my view, I was a bit startled. I immediately pushed the human away and swam back to the other side.

What just happened?

-Thomas POV-

As I got out of the tank, I look around and everyone, including myself, had one question in their eyes.

What just happened?

Like earlier, but worse, there was an outburst of panic:
"WHAT THE FU-" "I feel disoriented." "FIRST ATTEMPT OF MURDER AND NOW THIS??" "Herc, mon ami, please calm down this is overwhelming for everyone-" "LAF WE WERE JUST FUCKING HYPNOTIZED BY A SIREN HERC HAS PLENTY OF REASONS TO PANIC!" "What are we going to do?" "It's official: that thing is not safe to be around!"

And, once again, Washington hushed everyone, "Everyone please! I'm aware of what just happened...but I'd like to ask, Thomas..." Everyone turned to me.
"From what I can see, you weren't affected by...whatever he just did to us. What happened?"

"Well, sir. When you locked eyes with him I noticed both of your eyes changed into a bright purple color. Then you started saying how we should return him to the ocean despite his injuries. Lafayette tried to reason with you but everyone's eyes started to change purple and so did his. Before any of you could do anything, I jumped into the tank and took his attention off of any of you." As I finished, I noticed Washington had a thoughtful look on his face.

"We locked eyes, they changed color...when I started talking did I face everyone?" I nodded. "Did I make eye contact with everyone?"

"Yes, sir." I replied, catching on to what he was suggesting.

"Right. And Angelica, you were right. He is no merman, he's a siren. And from what I can tell, he can control us by locking eyes with us....Thomas did you make eye contact with me or him?"

What he was saying made a lot of sense except, "Yes I did."

He looked deep in thought again as he was trying to figure out the situation. Everyone knew not to bother him while he did this so it was quiet for a minute or two. Until he simply said,

"I guess you're the exception then"

The rest of us were taken off guard by his conclusion. It made sense that if we made eye contact with the siren, we'd be under his command but why did that exempt me? Why would Washington except that?

"Now," Washington began, taking the rest of us out of our confused state. "We need to discuss what we do now. Obviously it'd be hard to care for the siren if he just has to look at us to hypnotize us. So I was thinking, if there is one person who isn't affected by this...then they could be his caretaker."

My eyes widened as I realized he wanted me to be the siren's caretaker.
At the conservation, if an animal was too unruly, it'd be assigned a caretaker. Caretakers feed their assigned animal, train them to become cooperative, calm them down when they're worked up, etc. I've been a caretaker before but...this is a SIREN. I'm pretty sure he is at least intelligent to an extent.

Now Washington, and everyone else, was waiting for my answer.

"Well, sir. If that's what's best then I'll do it." It may be a siren who tried to attacked me but I'm not going refuse the chance to get closer to it. Besides, I have a good feeling about him.

"Then it's settled." Washington declared. "Starting tomorrow Thomas will be the caretaker of the siren. But for today, it's late. We should all be getting home now."