We're Going Nowhere

I look into the stained mirror, my hair is getting quite long. The man who looks back is nearly unrecognizable.

After brushing my brown hair I pace around my small apartment. God how did my life turn to this? I open my drawer and pull out my work uniform. After wearing it I clip on my name tag that reads Vince F. Then I walk out the door to start my day at the gas station, the only job I can manage to get.

I get in my car that is just about done for. Crappy car, Crappy Job, Crappy life.

The car rattles as it moves down the road. I drive carefully obeying ever traffic law known to man. If I get pulled over I'm screwed.

"Off to work I see Vic?" A female voice speaks up despite my efforts to block her out.

"Vince." I warn the female who is now sitting in my passenger seat looking more dead than ever.

"I wonder how Mike's life is going." The blonde twirls her hair in her fingers, her tone evil.

My hands turn white as they grip the steering wheel. How dare she talk about Mike like that. "It's been a few months Julie! Can't you just give me a chance to breathe!" I snap at her.

"Why don't you want to talk? I'm like your sister. We have so many similar interests." She chuckles sourly and gives me an evil grin.

"Just fuck off!" I feel my face grow hot as we're stopped at a red light. The people in the cars next to me stare into my car. They probably never saw a man yell at his empty passenger seat before.

"You know I'll always be here Vicky." Juliette fades away into thin air. The way she says the name sends shivers through my body.

At last I park my car at the gas station. As I walk in I spot my manager Ronnie and a stranger. Oh great a newbie.

"Vince! Wait up!" Ronnie calls through cupped hands. He taps his black painted nails on the cash register as I walk towards him and the unfamiliar ginger.

"Ughhhh." I moan a little to loud obviously irritating Ronnie.

"This is Matty. I want you to train him for me. Okay dude?" Ronnie pushes Matty towards me.

"Boss says the manager has to train the newbies." I say in a bossy tone. A smirk grows on Ronnie's face as I finish speaking. Oh great I messed up.

"Well if you don't train him, I'll tell Boss Mabbitt about you talking to yourself in the break room again." Ronnie hisses as he walks away. Great why doesn't he just tell the world that I'm a freak.

I sigh and turn to Matty. "Hi Matty it's Vic-ince." I stutter to the ginger as I stretch out my hand for him to shake it. To my surprise he high fives it. I lead him to the fridge area of the small gas station.

"Better not say the wrong name Vicky. Or he'll find ouuut." The voice in my head that never goes away chirps to me.

"Oh shush!" I mumble earning a concerning look from Matty. Oh great now he's curious.

"I didn't say anything." He stares at me with the same concerned expression. Concern worries me. I can't let him get close.

"This is the fridge, your job here is to take all the old cartons and push them to the front, the new ones to the back and the expired ones into this box." I change the subject quickly as I pull a box out from under the shelving behind me. Matty is still giving me the same look but after a while of staring he drops it. Thankfully he begins to do what I instructed him. I begin working on the other fridge till I hear Ronnie calling me from behind the shelving. I sigh running my fingers through my long brown hair.

"Fuenturd! You me. Back room." My manager waves me over with his heavily tattooed arm.

I wonder what this is about. He's probably gonna make me his slave or something. Maybe it'll be like that time he made me wash his car for him that didn't even need washing.

"If you continue giving me lip like you did earlier you won't be working here anymore understood." Ronnie growls as I finally enter the back room. It's just what I needed today; nagging.

"I'd hardly call that lip!" I say shocking both me and my manager. It's one of those things you don't think about before saying.

"A bit daring are we Fuentes, why don't you take that daring behaviour to the bathroom and clean it." Ronnie pushes the cart of cleaning supplies from behind the door, probably not caring what it hits. Unfortunately the thing it hits is me hard in the shin. Ronnie brushes his stringy black hair out of his face before leaving the room and handing me the bathroom key.

As much as I'd like to explain why Ronnie hates me I can't. I have no clue myself. Maybe it's because I freak him out?

I trudge my way to the bathroom pushing the cart. I ignore the pain of the growing bruise on my shin. After I unlock the bathroom door I start scrubbing graffiti off the white tiled wall. That's what I remain doing till a voice speaks up in my head.

"Victor? Aren't you hungry?" The friendly side of Julie shows. "I can't even get hungry and I'm as hungry as a wolf." Juliette appears sitting on the closed toilet. Her blue eyes trained on me.

"Shit, I didn't even notice it was lunch. How long have I been cleaning this damn bathroom?" I begin to pack up my supplies, and now that she's mentioned it, get hungry.

"Like thirty minutes, here let me get the door for you." Juliette stands up and opens the bathroom door. I then proceeded to push the cart out of it and lock the door behind me. Without thinking where I'm going I crash right into Ronnie and Matty.

"Hey! watch where you're going, and who the hell were you talking to in there!" Ronnie glares at me suspiciously already knowing I wasn't talking to anyone.

"I was talking on my phone." I lie through my teeth. Damnit why does it matter to him?

"Well next time you do it you're fired Vincent!" Ronnie pushes past me and back to the front register.

I look to see Matty trotting towards me. Why is he so friendly? I tense up as he pats me on the shoulder. "Why is he such a jerk to you?"

"No clue, he's been like this since I met him." I stand there awkwardly after answering Matty's question. God am I hungry. "Want to get lunch?"

"Sure." Matty smiles as I lead him towards the break room. Before I can reach the break room, I make eye contact with the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. Blue and green blend together to make their own colour and it sweeps me off my feet. I look up to see who these orbs belong to. I see nothing other than an officer in uniform. His face pale as porcelain and his badge reading 'Quinn'.

Unfortunately the voice in my head, named Julie snaps me out of my daydream. "Earth to Vic? Take a picture it'll last longer." I roll my eyes and look back at the man.

Wait.. am I gazing at a man?

"Quinn." I whisper to myself loving the way his name rolls off my tongue. Am I Vince Fuentes, the gas station freak catching feelings for another human being. I can't be! I don't love I destroy! And it's not just any human being. It's a guy.