impetuous

investigating the abandoned house couldn't have been a worse idea for the takings of time whom curiosity killed.

impetuous (adjective)
/ɪmˈpɛtjʊəs/
acting or done quickly and without thought or care.

~~~~~

the slow creaking of the rotting, damp floorboards was sure to wake up the dead. the heavy wind howled through the lifeless house, a house which once held the weight of an entire family but now struggles under the weight of a single dead leaf.

abandonment did not do the house any good. the broken staircase trapped anyone who wanted to use it; the windows which were once wide open to let the bright morning light descend upon the room were now boarded up, enclosing the inside as darkness dampened the walls and shadows stained them grey.

there was no roof. torn with the wind, there remained only an opening, looking down on the fragile attic. no stars plotted on the sky as vines and weeds covered it, using the roof of the derelict house as it's own home to grow, live a short and futile life, and die, just like any other living being.

the barren walls and cutting air did not hinder a young girl, no older than twelve, from tearing at the walls of the dilapidated building and climbing in through a small hole, leaving the plaster in a pile by her feet.

hoping to feed her insatiable curiosity, the girl shuffled through the rubble, holding her breath so as not to make a distinguishable sound, or inhale the decaying dust. she carefully made her way past what once was a kitchen, now completely unidentifiable, and stood at the bottom of the staircase, hesitating at the sight of the ruins that remained clinging to the wall in despair.

everything in the building was so fragile; a single tap could have the walls crashing to the ground.

keeping this in mind, the girl tentatively rested her boot-clad feet on the first step. desperately feeling around for a railing or something to guide her, the darkness blinded her from her surroundings. she resolved to gripping tightly onto the cavities in the wall. she took a deep breath, her eyes widening as though that would help her see. she counted to three before leaning all her weight on the first step. balancing on one leg for what had felt like an eternity but was only several minutes, she decided it was safe to rest all her weight on the step, and put her foot down. the stairs released a loud groan while the girl let out a sigh of relief.

thinking words of determination, she counted to five this time before taking the next step. after five more steps, the girl decided it was harmless to rush up the next steps, as though racing the tick of time that was against her.

as she reached the tenth step of twelve, the floorboards let out a deafening creak. with terror, she clung onto the hanging rail in front of her, but it was too weak to hold her weight, and the stairs gave out beneath her, constructing a forceful pile atop what now could be considered

the takings of time.