Part 2

"Miss Nandini Mathur?",the receptionist called from behind the front desk.

Standing up from the steel chair, I slowly made my way towards her. "Yes?", my voice wavered due to nervousness. 

"Here, take your report",she spoke handing me an envelope,"Please go to room 203. Dr. Maya is waiting for you." I nodded slowly and she gave me the instructions to the room. I thrust the envelope in my hand into my purse. I didn't dare to open it, not now.

"Come in please", came a soft voice from behind the door. I opened the door and went inside. The lady gestured for me to sit and I did. 

"The report?", she asked me.

Slowly and very carefully I took it out and handed it to her, too afraid to find out the truth.

She raised her spectacles above her nose and started reading the report. Gradually, a frown made it's way to her face. Beads of sweat started appearing on my forehead.

When she finally looked at me, she had the look of utmost disapproval,"It's positive. You are pregnant Nandini", she sighed,"Pregnant before marriage. How could you be so careless?", she removed her spectacles,"Look what's done is done. We cannot change the past but we can change the future. Your family is well respected in the society. They'll be defamed. "

I didn't know if I was listening to her or to my loudly beating heart.This wasn't supposed to happen but I had crossed my limit and so had he.

"Are you even listening to me?", I didn't notice that she was now standing next to me. I nodded lightly. " You'll stay at the hospital and we'll be done with the abortion in two hours,okay?"

Abortion? 

Could I take an innocent life?

No.

"No", I heard a voice that hardly resembled mine.

"Pardon me?"

"I said no. There will be no abortion.", I abruptly stood up and started towards the door.

"I'll have to tell your parents about it. You have left me no other choice.", I could sense her anger.

As I opened the door, I turned towards her,"Do whatever you wish to. I am not killing my child."

"Ravi? Say something. I cannot deal with this on my own.", I croaked.

Ravi was just sitting on the couch. His face was hidden by his palms. Next thing I knew, he was shaking me by my shoulders,"Why couldn't you control yourself? Is it not a female's job to have control on herself, in such situations?", he tore his hair in desperation.

"Ravi...", I found myself at loss of words. I thought he was sensible. I thought he would take the responsibility along with me and not blame me for everything .I was utterly wrong.

"You need to get it aborted.", I heard him saying to me.

"What?"

"It is either me or the that filth that's in your body now.", his tone was that of finality. I couldn't believe it. The man whom I loved...

"It is not filth. It's your own blood."

"My blood or not, I do not care. What I do care about is my position in the society.If this news comes out, both of our families will be ruined. Do you not understand this?"

I was taken aback by the harshness in his voice. I had expected him to understand but he proved me wrong. I removed the engagement ring from my hand and place it in his palm.