Chapter 2: New Beginnings

Katie:

"Katie," Jeremy's voice startles me from my summer reading. "Axl's ready to go home and Mom's none too pleased he stayed the night."

"I'll be down in a moment to take him home we're taking my car." I tell him. I get dressed in a black floral sundress.

I slip on his Letterman and head down to the garage picking up my keys as we go. Axl's leaning against the hood of my car grinning as I toss him the keys. Even if it's my car he still insists on driving, and I don't mind being old-fashioned with him. He opens my door and closes it when I am buckled in. He goes around the car and starts the engine.

"What are we going to be doing today?" He asks me.

"I can only spend the morning with you. Mother insists I spend the afternoon with the Kepler family." I tell him, "I only found out about it a few hours ago."

"You're spending the day with your abusive ex-boyfriend."

"His parents and my own have been friends since childhood." I try to explain, "Our mother's are basically sisters. My father thinks it best to explain to them what happened and why I no longer wish to see their son."

"And if he should persuade them to believe otherwise?" Axl asks his grip on the wheel tightens. "What then Kate?" His voice is filled with grief, and if I didn't know him better, I'd say jealousy. But I know him and its grief and agony from being unable to do anything about this meeting, being unable to protect me from my ex-boyfriend. "I can't bear the thought..." His voice is vulnerable.

"My parents, Jack and Jeremy will be there as well as Brandon's parents." I try to assure him, "I won't have to spend a moment alone with him." I explain, "My father will see to it."

"Will you call me?" He asks me not looking away from the road, "If things start becoming overwhelming?"

"You know I will." I promise him putting my hand over his to loosen his grip. His hand goes slack under mine. "I promise you." I tell him. "We still have the morning." I tell him, "Thankfully quite a bit of the morning, you rose with the roosters this morning, any particular reason?" I ask him as the sun continues it's rising over the trees. "I don't think you've ever woken before dawn, have you?"

"I don't believe so, but there's this girl who's been on my mind for two months now." He says, "Night or day, she's there, forever on my mind."

"She sounds pretty special." I tell him as he stops at his parents' house.

"Just let me go change." He says. He turns off the car and races around to open my door for me. I smile standing up and kissing him. I kick the car door slam shut and don't stop.

"Axman." A boy's voice pulls me back. I blush profusely Axl rakes his fingers through his hair, I can tell he's embarrassed.

"Hey Sean." He greets back trying to look cool. His arm wraps around mine. "Wassup man?" He asks. They share a series of fist-bumps and high-fives.

"In town for a while until my job at the hospital starts." He says. "What about your big plans?"

"Psst, yeah totally." He says trying to sound cool his hand raking through his hair again tells me all I need to know, "Kate, this is my neighbor and one of my best friends Sean." He says, "Sean, my girlfriend Katherine."

"Nice to meet you Katherine." Sean says with a smile. "So, you reigned in the Axeman?"

"Axman?" I ask turning to Axl before turning back to his Friend Sean. "It's nice to meet you too and call me Katie." I insist taking his extended hand to shake.