Chapter 5: Why Am I Feeling This Way?

A week has passed since the incident. Dad left town at once without saying so much as a goodbye.

But I wasn't to worried about him, to say the least. Luke and Andrew's parents let me move in with them, which I was thankful for. They all welcomed me like family, which was more than my father had ever done.

The kids and I still went up to the mansion on the hill. Each time, the Maestro welcomed us with open arms. He still loved to show us neat little tricks and play harmless practical jokes on us. I knew that the kids' parents still didn't fully approve, but they knew that I would take good care of them.

The last few days, I've felt very strange. Every time I looked at the Maestro, I've felt this odd sensation in the pit of my stomach. My heart would start to pound wildly in my chest and my breath would get caught in my throat. I noticed that I stuttered a lot more frequently when I was near him, which I could not understand; I have never stuttered. Not when I talk to people, not during public speaking. Never. So why was I starting all of a sudden?

I've also noticed that The Maestro has been looking at me oddly lately. There is a certain emotion in his eyes, but I can't figure out what it is. I have thought it over several times, though the only answer that I've come up with is ridiculous.

"Come on, Luke, Andrew, we're going up to the mansion today!" I yelled up the stairs. I soon heard the sound of footsteps as they ran from their rooms and toward the staircase. I saw them at the top, an eagar and excited look on both of their faces. I chuckled and watched them as they bounded down each step, pushing to be the first down. I walked toward the front door with them following behind me.

After we went to Thomas's house, we started our long walk up the seemingly neverending hill. The kids were all fooling around and talking amongst themselves, so I was left to my own thoughts.

The thoughts of the Maestro's kind features filled my mind. His strong jaw, framed by his beautiful black curls, his small nose that sat perfectly in the center of his pale, smooth face. His deep brown eyes that were so kind. But what stuck out the most were his enticing pink lips. The way they curved as he smiled his heart-warming smile, the way they moved as he sung, but most of all, the way they formed when he said my name.

The familiar sign came into view, reading 'Someplace Else'. I instantly smiled, realizing that it would only be a short time before I saw the man that had invaded my thoughts. The gate creaked open, welcoming us.

As we made our way into the mansion, I could see the kids nearly bouncing as they raced each other to the front door. I quickly started to run after them, easily passing them. As I did, I turned my head to look at them, sticking my tongue out teasingly. I reached the doors seconds before Andrew, who glared playfully at me. The other two caught up, showing the same expression when they caught their breath.

"That wasn't fair, Lizzy!" Luke claimed, tugging on my sleeve. I smiled down at him, shaking my head.

"What wasn't fair?" a heavenly voice asked, grabbing our attention.

"Lizzy cheated!" Thomas piped up, pouting at the Maestro. He looked up at me, smirking. Oh no.

"Well, we'll just have to teach her a lesson, won't we?" he teased, staring straight into my eyes. The kids cheered at the idea, running off down the hall.

"Be careful!" I shouted after them, watching as their small bodies eventually disappeared. I turned my gaze back to the Maestro. "Should I be worried?" I asked, referring to his mention of payback.

"No," he told me, "you should be scared." That was the last thing he said before disappearing into thin air.

For an hour, I wandered down the long corridors, peaking into some of the rooms. At one point, I came across a beautiful bedroom. Though it was dark and obviously hadn't been touched for years, going by the thick layers of dust that covered all of the objects, it was amazing.