eleven

"oh god," lainey whined.

"hey, it's okay. you've done this before," ariana said.

"it hurts. it hurts, i want the epidural."

"you can't have the epidural it's too late for that. dr. west said you're starting to crown."

"i need it out, please get it out," lainey sobbed.

"are you ready to push lainey?" de. west asked.

"i need it out!"

"push."

lainey took a breath and pushed, gripping the bed rail.

"good job. keep going, you're doing great."

"we're getting a head, laine," mac said. "you're already almost there."

lainey let go of the breath she was holding and breathed heavily, sobbing. "please make it stop, it hurts!"

"it won't stop hurting until the baby is out," dr. west said. give me another big push and the head will be out, this won't take long at all."

lainey pushed again and after a few seconds she gasped. "oh my god!"

"that's the head, it's out. take a little breather."

"you're doing so good baby girl," ariana said. "i'm so proud of you, you're doing so good."

"this sucks! i'm getting the epidural next time!" lainey whined.

"you can, i promise. you labored fast, we didn't know this would happen."

"alright lainey, let start pushing again," dr. west said.

lainey took a breath and pushed, letting out a small scream as she leaned back and breathed heavily. "i can't do this. i can't do it, ari..."

ariana took lainey's hand and kissed it. "you can. i promise you, you can do this. it's almost over honey, we're so close to meeting that baby."

"i want it out..."

"then push. push like your life depends on it."

lainey let out a sob but as soon as she was calm she took a deep breath and pushed.

"good job," dr. west said. "alright the shoulders are coming, just a few more seconds... does mommy wanna deliver the baby?"

"i can do that?" ariana asked.

"i... what?"

"i'm the mom. that's my baby, she's my surrogate."

"oh. well then absolutely, step on over here and we'll get you some gloves and a gown so you don't get messy."

"no, i'll be fine. if this was me on the table i'd be getting messy anyways, how do i deliver a baby?" ariana asked.

dr. west stepped to the side and positioned ariana's hands on the baby. "she's gonna push one more time and that baby's gonna flop out into your hands, and the rest is self explanatory."

"oh my god, this is happening," ariana said.

"mac you better be recording this," lainey said with a sniffle.

"i'm recording everything," mac said, getting a better shot of ariana and the baby.

"hey come on that's my wife's vagina on display," mark said.

"this is his baby, he can record whatever her wants," lainey said.

"are you ready for this baby to be born?" dr. west asked.

"yes!" ariana, mac, mark and lainey said in unison.

"push."

lainey took a breath and pushed. it only took a few seconds for her and ariana to both gasp.

ariana stares at the baby in her hands, who's was screaming and she let out a small laugh as tears filled her eyes. "it's a boy!"

"a boy?" mac asked. "yes!"

"oh my god, he's beautiful..."

———————————————————————

"you're okay buddy," ariana whispered as she lightly patted her sons diaper. "it's okay, calm down."

"here, let me try. he might be hungry," lainey said.

ariana walked over to the bed and handed the baby to lainey, who immediately got him attached to her breast.

"there we go..." lainey whispered. "so... what's my nephews name?"

"well... we have a backup name but... we were wanting to know if it would be okay with you that we name him carson... in his memory."

lainey's eyes filled with tears and she stared at the baby. "carson..."