6. False Obsession Turned Real

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize

***

The chilly autumn wind blew past Alex, strands of her strawberry blonde hair fluttering up. The girl shivered, glad that she had chosen to wear a long-sleeved shirt that day.

The weather was gradually getting colder. Conner had met up with a bunch of boys on their way to school, so he began to chat with them, leaving Alex to the side. Alex didn't really mind though; a bit of peace and quiet would do her good.

"Good morning!" a familiar voice perked, and Alex turned to see a grinning Fred. He looked suspiciously awake in the morning and there was a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Good morning," Alex returned the courtesy. "What have you got here, Freddie?"

Fred gave her a wicked smirk. "I know who Conner likes."

Alex sighed. "Of course you do." It wasn't much of a surprise, really. She knew Fred would do everything in his power to find out his best friend's crush.

"Soooo... you interested in knowing who?" the boy leaned down ("He's so tall," Alex thought) and whispered.

Alex pondered her choices. On one hand, she respected her brother's privacy; but on the other hand, she wanted to know whether his crush would be suitable for Conner. She weighted the two options in her head for a few seconds, then finally said, "Are you a hundred percent sure you have it right?"

"Two hundred percent," he replied, his smile as big as a Cheshire cat's. Alex was rather amused how this topic had Fred wide-eyed in the early hours of the day.

"Alright. But don't tell anyone else," Alex said in a hushed tone.

"It's Bree Campbell," Fred whispered in her ear, and straightened his back, acting as if nothing had happened. "Do you know her?"

"Ah," Alex wasn't sure what to say. She couldn't say she was surprised because she didn't know what type of people Conner fancied. "Yes, she's in my Social Studies class."

"By the way, Freddie, can I ask you for a favour?" Alex asked.

"Anything," Fred cocked his head.

"Can you try to keep Conner from falling down and smashing into walls? I'm a bit concerned for his safety."

"And image," Fred added. "I don't want him to look stupid in front of his potential girlfriend." He saw Alex's exasperated look, and immediately said, "All right, I'll help Conner."

"Fred!" Conner interrupted them from the side, blue eyes narrowing. "The heck are two talking about?"

The other boy batted his eyelashes innocently. "Homework," he gave a simple reply and returned to the mob of boys.