:: Chapter Forty Four ::

Kid, once again, felt powerless. Unable to assist her in her recovery, he felt torn. Three weeks had passed and Malice had hardly been conscious for more than an hour or two. Every time she’d come to, the pain was too much for her to bear. She’d scream in agony and thrash about until Shanks would step in and use his haki to render her unconscious again.

Both crews were becoming discouraged. Would this life really be any better? She was in constant pain. The alliance agreed to wait until Malice had recovered and in the meantime were busy attacking Kaido’s forces after the beating they’d taken from Red Hair. Though Killer worried how long they’d be willing to wait.

Kid jolted awake from the chair beside her bed. He hadn’t left it since she’d been moved to the infirmary. Every day was a constant battle. No one knew if the broken girl was strong enough to pull through. His gaze immediately flew to the scarred girl lying on the ultra plush bed before him.

Her toes curled and uncurled in time with her soft panting gasps of breath. She was waking up again. Kid reached out to her, but held back. His touch would only cause her to suffer more. Her frail fingers gripped the sheets at her side. It was a miracle, she wasn’t screaming yet. A soft whimper of pain escaped her as she continued to fight through the pain.

“Malice.” Kid breathed her name, “It’s okay.”

Fighting the constant pain, Malice struggled to open her left eye. She hadn’t opened her eye in over three weeks. Desperately her gaze latched onto Kid. Dark circles lined his feral eyes, his skin was pale and lacked a healthy luster and his body was half hunched half slumped from defeat. There were indents in his hair where he’d been constantly streaming worried fingers. He looked weary and broken and in much need of some fresh air.

Her entire body screamed in protest as she shakily forced herself to sit up right. The simple movement sent spasm after spasm of agony throughout her entire body, but she had to keep going.

“What are you doing?!” Kid hissed quietly, “Lay back down.”

Malice froze as she got a look at the other occupants in the room. Heat, Wire, and Spike were in an odd tangled heap atop the cot next to hers. Titan was sprawled across the floor next to her bed. Killer was half slumped on the floor with his head resting at the foot of her bed. She was worrying everyone.

“Malice!” Kid seethed as the scarred girl slowly swung her legs over the edge of the bed.

“Sh.” Malice waved off his protests as she eased her feet onto the hardwood floor.

Killer stirred from his slumber and raised his masked head to look at the cryptic girl. “Malice?” He stared in awe as she forced herself to stand, “Don’t push yourself too much.” He scolded her, “You’re still healing.”

Malice bit her lip as she got to her feet and supported her own weight. Every step was agony. She heard the dramatic scraping of a chair across hardwood floor and nearly flinched as Kid leapt over her bed. Instinct kicked in as she heard him approach and her body tensed, bracing herself for the pain.

Nothing happened.

She chanced a glance to her left and spotted Kid standing partially behind her. His arms were extended hovering just out of reach of her, offering her a safety net if she were to fall. “You’re going to be the death of me.” He said through clenched teeth.

“Take a walk with me.” Malice’s smile was strained. Kid could already see the effects of wear and tear on her body from the minimal amount of movement, but he couldn’t say no to her.

“Let’s go.”

“Kid.” Killer attempted to reason with his captain.

Ignoring the first mate’s protests, the pair slowly made their way to the door. With slow unsteady steps, like those of a foal walking for the first time, Malice got her first taste of salty air in weeks. The sun beat down upon her skin mercilessly as she left the safety of the infirmary. She flinched at the blinding brightness, but it was gone in the next instant.

When she looked again she found a muscular arm shielding her from the harsh light. She chanced a glance over her shoulder at Kid. He looked worried, weary and worn. Her recovery was taking its toll on him. Malice bit her lip, she wanted to feel his warm embrace, even if it was agony, she wanted to feel those strong arms wrapped around her. She made a move to wrap her arms around him.

Kid jumped away from her so quickly she’d thought he’d been burned. “Be careful.” He hissed at her.

Resisting the urge to sigh in dejection, Malice slowly made her way toward the stairs descending to the main deck below. She recognized her father’s ship, but wasn’t sure how the two crews were getting along well enough? Her presence aboard his ship was probably hindering her father.

Malice stumbled forward as her knees suddenly buckled refusing to support her weight any longer. Strong arms encircled her from behind causing her to cry out in pain.

Kid swore under his breath, “Sorry.” He righted her and made a move to release her.

“Please don’t let go.” Malice choked.

“It’s causing you pain.” Kid argued.

“I don’t care.” Her body trembled against him, “It hurt too much being away from you.”

Kid winced as Malice whimpered in his arms. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Rather you than anyone else.” Malice leaned into his embrace as a single tear escaped her. Would she ever be free of pain to enjoy the touch she yearned for?

“You’re awake.” Her father’s voice sounded from the stairwell. “How do you feel?”

“Miserable.” Kid supplied for her.

“I’m fine.” Malice corrected her captain.

“I feel like I’m holding a seizing child.” Kid noted.

“Because that makes me feel better.” Malice grumbled sarcastically.

Shanks smiled. She’d made unbelievable progress since the day he rescued her. It was because of the young pirate captain. He was her unwavering strength, he was the only reason she chose to struggle onward through life. It would be easier for her to give in and give up on life, but she couldn’t for his sake. “Thank you.” The yonko bowed to the young captain.

Malice stared at her father in awe.

“For what?” Kid asked as a feeling of self loathing washed over him. Why would Red Hair thank him? It was his fault Malice was even in such a state.

“Giving her a reason to live.” Shanks smiled fondly, “Something I could not do, no matter how much I tried, pleaded and begged.”

“I suppose it’s a good thing, I didn’t go to mom.” Malice attempted to lighten the overly serious mood. “She wouldn’t have hesitated.”

Shanks grimaced before gaping at Malice, “You met your mother?”

“Oh yeah, she’s a real sweetheart.” Malice noted, voice dripping with sarcasm. “Oh, and just so I know, what the hell were you thinking?”

Shanks chuckled, “She was a dancer.”

Kid smirked at this, “A dancer you say?” He asked in mock interest knowing it would get a rise out of the morose girl.

Malice elbowed him in the stomach, only to double over in pain. “You’re both idiots.” She hissed as Kid lifted her into his arms.

“You’re the idiot.” Kid glowered, “You should be resting.”

“You’re the one who came along!” Malice snapped.

“I couldn’t stand anymore of your whining.” Kid retorted.

Shanks smiled softly to himself, they were bickering again. All was right in the world. Though Malice would heal in time, he knew it would be a constant struggle and she’d never be as strong as she once was. Her body had taken too much damage. The ghost that once was, would be no more. She was starting a new life, a life where she won’t have to fight anymore, a life where she can settle down.