f i v e

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀—𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀
—𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬—

𝘼𝙇𝙇𝙄𝙎𝙊𝙉 𝙃𝘼𝘿 𝘼 gut feeling that something wasn't right. As she sat next to Leo, she tapped her foot on the asphalt, her eyes darting around them in suspicion. It was quiet in the night— too quiet. And on the night of the annual Purge, it was never supposed to be so calm and peaceful. It was almost as if everyone had gone home, or were just looking around for their next victim.

But whatever it was, the woman knew something was coming. She debated on telling Leo about her feelings, but it was obvious that he wouldn't think twice about it. But little did she know, Leo's heartbeat was a little too fast for his liking, and the air seemed too thick around them. The tension was thick enough to cut with a knife.

"Why is it so quiet out here?" Allison whispers, her eyes falling on him. "I'd at least expect a gunshot, or a scream every now and then. But this isn't normal."

"Stay down," Leo says to her, manovering into a standing position. He then proceeds to make his way a little farther into the alley, before ducking around a corner and disappearing from her line of sight.

If Allison was being honest with herself, she was worried as soon as Leo was away from her line of sight. He could protect himself, she knew that— but the thought of him being harmed made her want to follow behind him and make sure he was okay. She caught herself on that last thought, shaking her mind away from it. Why would she even think of something like that? It was unprofessional and completely unneeded, especially when they were both adults who were almost strangers to one another.

As Leo made his way back to her, she released a sight of pure relief. She hides it from him, raising a questioning eyebrow. "What were you doing?"

"Making sure we're clear," he replies, grabbing her hand to pull her farther behind the crate. "But we aren't, so contact your friend. I think Bane and his freak show recruits are here."

Allison immediately sends Kaylin a hand signal, hoping he'd be able to contact Carlson in time. She wasn't all that prepared to face his whole group alone, especially when some of her men were already gone.

"Allison," a voice speaks through her transceiver in a hushed tone. "Allison, are you there?"

"Carlson, what is it?" The brunette questions him in a hushed tone, Leo coming closer to hear the conversation.

"Bane's misfits are here, and we need help now," Carlson snaps. "Get down here as soon as possible— there's more of them than we could've expected."

Allison couldn't comprehend what he was saying, her hand dropping to her lap. She had the urge to scream; to throw the radio to the ground and shatter it for everyone around to hear. She wanted this to be over, and for Bane and his soldiers to disappear off the face of the earth for all eternity. Unfortunately, they were out of luck when it came to that.

"What do you mean?" She hesitates, her voice ready to crack. "Carlson, Bane is here. He's approaching right now."

"He must've figured out that you separated," Leo concludes, his jaw going slack. "How many groups are there, Allison?"

"One more, but they're in the clear," she swallows. "Bretton is fine, so connect with him and ask for his help, Carlson."

"Get your ass home, Allison," the man says through the radio, his voice clear. "This shit is about to be a disaster, so get the fuck away from it. Go home now."

Carlson's voice could no longer be heard as a loud crash sounded from the street beside them. Allison flinches, falling back into Leo's arms as a loud siren begins to blare in the night. It sounded something like that of an ambulance, but louder and more urgent. She could only imagine why Bane would choose something like it; probably as a mean of making a grand entrance. Whatever it was sure came across as a warning for something greater than she, and everyone else, anticipated.

Her radio fell to the asphalt, a bright light coming into view. It overtook the alleyway, much like the sun would after hours upon hours of darkness. The fluorescence blinded everyone ahead of it, and overtook the dimness that had reigned before. It was followed by a semi, which was cornered by soldiers in white.

"Only Bane and his team wear white," Allison murmers, leaning into Leo's touch. "We're done for, there's no way to get out of this. I'm sorry for dragging you into this, Leo."

The man, however, wasn't listening to a word that came from her lips. He was making a plan to get them out— one that would get Allison out of this situation and into the safety of her own home. But there were so many things that could go wrong, so many more pieces to the puzzle than usual.

He disregarded the sound of the back of the semi opening, and focused on the sound of Allison's breathing. Of the feeling of her skin on his, and of his beating heart on her back. She had to feel his fear, he decided. And she, too, would know that he was growing frantic with the proceeding moments. A tall man jumped from the back of the semi, landing on his feet before looking around with a grin of malice.

"I'm so glad I could join you, Allison," Bane states aloud, pulling a gun from his belt. "Aren't you? It took me a while to hear about your plans, but the news got around eventually."

There was a short pause before he loaded his weapon, and continued on with his speech.

"If you come out now, the rest of your team will be fine," he announces. "Bretton and Carlson— anyone else involved will be left alone for the rest of the night. But if you hide out like the bitch you are, I'll kill every last one of them."

Allison squeezes her eyes closed, Leo gripping her tighter. "Don't even think about walking out there," Leo hisses, covering her mouth with his hand.

As Bane embraced the silence they left for him, he simply shrugged. "I always knew you'd choose the hard way."

And then, as if they knew exactly where she was hiding from the start, four soldiers rushed forward to the crate. Before Leo and Allison could move from their position, they were yanked up and knocked out cold.

The last thing the brunette could remember was the sound of gunshots, and the feeling of a jagged rope tying her wrists together.

_______