VIII

CHAPTER EIGHTTHE GYROSPHERE JEOPARDY

CHAPTER EIGHT
THE GYROSPHERE JEOPARDY

Alex and I set off through the old gyrosphere valley.

Hand in hand, we sprint across the field, pieces of rock and clumps of molten lava crashing into the ground. Black smoke clouded the once beautiful peaks that watched over Isla Nublar, funnelling out of sight.

I knew first hand this mission wasn't going to be anything short of easy, but I hadn't expected this. What's more, the hand I was holding wasn't meant to be in these circumstances.

Not here. Not now.

Animals outrunning the pyroclastic flow thundered all around us, shaking the ground with a rumble that shook everything you could possibly think and feel. All that remained was searing pain in my body and Alex's hand glued to my palm.

I didn't know what kind of dinosaurs were running past me. I didn't even know if Claire, Owen and Franklin were still behind me. The ungodly, deafening sound of a wave of smoke plummeting towards us and chunks of rock whirling into the ground fueled every inch of my body to run as fast as it could.

The field was intervalled with a patch of forest, separating Alex and I. Heartbeat pounding at my ears, foliage whipping past me, grazing my bare forearms and cheeks. I lept over a log, struggling to find my footing on the uneven slope which sent me straight into a tree. A sharp twig pierced my arm, a patch of bark scraping my ribcage underneath my t-shirt. A blur of green and navy blue caught my eye, Owen and Claire now at our tails. Franklin's high pitch scream wailed behind us.

A brachiosaurus crashed into the trees with an almighty cry for help, a trunk tumbling down in the space between Alex and I.

'Look out!' I scream, letting go of his hand and shoving him out of the way.

The lump of wood crashed onto the ground, dirt rocketing into the air as the ground shook. My flight response picked me up off the ground before the dirt had even tumbled back down.

I ducked my head as I kept running, shoving my way out of the treeline and back onto the open field. Alex sprints from a bush, rejoining my side in long, even strides. I did my best to suck in a breath of clean air that had been knocked out of us from our fall, but the air above of us was nothing but smoke.