XVII

CHAPTER SEVENTEENTO FREE OR NOT TO FREE

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
TO FREE OR NOT TO FREE

'How bad is it?' I ask Zia.

The group of us strode down the dimly lit corridor towards the underground sub-basement of the manor, my fingers laced tightly with Alex's.

Zia rubs at her noticeably tired eyes, Franklin hanging his head. She avoids Claire's eyes on her, hanging her head.

'It's uh, it's not good,' she admits honestly.

I knew it had something to do with these dinosaurs. The way Zia's eyes lingered with tears and avoided Claire's told me something had gone drastically wrong with the captivity these mercenaries had made for them. I look down at mine and Alex's hands, repressing the solidity of worry in my stomach.

She pushes open the door at the end of the corridor, the room filled with neon blue light. Claire let go of Maisie's hand, hobbling away. I frown lightly at how awkwardly she was walking, but my heart begun to stretch out unpleasantly as I took in what was unfolding behind the glass.

A heavy cloud of smoke was filtering through the basement. Our animals were wailing in despair, ramming their heads into the metal bars in an attempt to escape it. It was a symphony; crying and straining and struggling to breathe. It rattled the glass—the energy of fear from them all far thicker than the cloud of smoke.

They knew they were about to die.

Winnie steps forward slightly, letting go of Hudson's hand. Her tearful eyes fill with wonder as they flickered over every one, taking them in, a tiny gleam in her eye.

It suddenly occurred to me that this was the first time she'd ever seen a dinosaur in person.

The sheer wonder that illuminated off of every person when they saw these creatures in the flesh, battered by the overwhelming sadness seeing them struggle. Winnie tilts her head, swallowing a sob.

'They're all dying,' she croaks.

'The blast damaged the ventilation system,' Zia says quietly, tears filling her tired eyes. 'We did everything we could.'